Yeast Nutrient

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidgrace

Reaction score
I'm considering using a Yeast Nutrient with my next brew. I usually get my ingredients etc from Malt Miller. I see they stock WLN1000, NBS Yeast Nutrient and WLN3200 White Labs Servomyces Can anyone recommend one of these? And what about Young's yeast nutrient?

Yeast nutrient provides the requisite building materials to grow new yeast cells. Its more important if you:
- underpitch
- use old or poorly stored yeast
- use liquid yeast without a sufficient starter

As EarthKveik said dead yeast cells in the boil make a good nutrient, as they have all the building blocks for living yeast cells.

That said, if you make a decent wort, it should privide everything needed for the yeast. So it's up to you, it won't do any harm, but may not be absolutely necessary.

Yeast nutrient provides the requisite building materials to grow new yeast cells. Its more important if you:
- underpitch

As EarthKveik said dead yeast cells in the boil make a good nutrient, as they have all the building blocks for living yeast cells.

That said, if you make a decent wort, it should privide everything needed for the yeast. So it's up to you, it won't do any harm, but may not be absolutely necessary.

I should have added that kveik strains tend to need more nutrients than low ABV worts can provide, you probably won't need as much nutrient with a conventional yeast strain.

- underpitch

Thanks for your response. I only do 11.5 batches with a full 11.5g packet of dried yeast. Would that make a yeast nutrient even less necessary?

You really don't need yeast nutrient.
There are examples where you might want to use it.
If you know the environment is less the ideal for the yeast for one reason or another.
During a fermentation you are getting a sulphur smell from stressed yeast.
But I only really use it if I'm being lazy. I know my water is terrible and I should really used distilled water or at the very least bottled water but if I use my tap water I might use nutrient.
It really is one of those things that you can brew for years and never use it but there might come a time where your yeast will need a helping hand.

If you have done plenty of brews and had no problems then I would say just carry on. You will just know when things aren't going right.... And then maybe think of nutrient.

There are examples where you might want to use it.
If you know the environment is less the ideal for the yeast for one reason or another.
During a fermentation you are getting a sulphur smell from stressed yeast.
But I only really use it if I'm being lazy. I know my water is terrible and I should really used distilled water or at the very least bottled water but if I use my tap water I might use nutrient.
It really is one of those things that you can brew for years and never use it but there might come a time where your yeast will need a helping hand.

If you have done plenty of brews and had no problems then I would say just carry on. You will just know when things aren't going right.... And then maybe think of nutrient.
Thanks. That's helpful.

Thanks. That's helpful.
Also since we are on the subject... Yeast nutrient is a waist of money anyway. If you do find yourself in a pickle and your yeast needs some help. Half teaspoon of marmite will do the same thing. But do dissolve it in hot water and a little honey or suger. Then throw it in. It won't effect the flavour. You might think it will but it won't. Marmite is just the sludge at the bottom of your fermentation bucket mixed with vegetable stock concentrated. In theory you could make your own marmite.... Not that I have tried

Thanks for your response. I only do 11.5 batches with a full 11.5g packet of dried yeast. Would that make a yeast nutrient even less necessary?
I think you'll be fine unless you're doing something less than 3-4% ABV or there's something about your yeast that increases its need for nutrients. Also there are domestically available alternatives like bread yeast or marmite that'll cost you less than buying nutrient. Good luck with your batch!

Sorry to piggy back on the OP, but I'm also considering using it for an imperial stout, but the packet of whitelabs yeast nutirent I have off a friend (previously opened) is out of date (by a few months). Does expiry date matter much with usage of yeast nutrient?

Don't know if you can see the date on the yeast I been using but that went out of date in the beginning of 2020.
It really just depends. If your lucky some are OK and will use the dead yeast as nutrients. If not.... Then it won't do anything, and you can just add new yeast. It will use the whole other packet as nutrients.

Attachments

• 20210718_123739.jpg
    20210718_123739.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 53
Sorry to piggy back on the OP, but I'm also considering using it for an imperial stout, but the packet of whitelabs yeast nutirent I have off a friend (previously opened) is out of date (by a few months). Does expiry date matter much with usage of yeast nutrient?
Ohh wait. I thought you ment yeast..... And its opened you say. Don't know..... I wouldnt use it myself.

Last edited:
I've never needed YN in any beer that I've brewed, but have done in some wines - it's mainly recommended (IMO) for country wines and mead etc, that lack certain nutrients.

I always use it just in case. Why not? Its very cheap, you need very little of it for a 25ltr batch so a packet lasts a long time and it provides many things yeast benefits from that isn't in a packet of yeast. So you might not need it but a bit of insurance from time to time cant hurt.

Don't know if you can see the date on the yeast I been using but that went out of date in the beginning of 2020.
It really just depends. If your lucky some are OK and will use the dead yeast as nutrients. If not.... Then it won't do anything, and you can just add new yeast. It will use the whole other packet as nutrients.

Are you making sake? or using the white packet as nutrient?

I have several of those white packets a bit out of date but intended for the first stage of sake making, which looks like such a tedious process I haven't dared start it.

FWIW I use nutrient in every brew and starter, why not it's cheap and might benefit and doesn't harm.

If you have the patience to make Sake then Marmite might be your thing, however the cost of the electricity to make it probably way exceeds the saving you make on not buying yeast nutrient or on the marmite.
However I'm still tempted to have a go at marmite making if we ever get solar power. Certainly racked off a litre of dark yeast from my last porter.

https://msmarmitelover.com/2011/04/how-to-make-your-own-marmite.html

I have used Youngs the 500gm tub as very cheap.
DarrenUK said:

If it is not needed then why is recommended in so many recipes??:?::beer1:

Latest posts

Back