yeast options for a belgium Dubble

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braufather

Landlord.
Reaction score
this will be a first attempt on a Belgium ale and i am looking forward to it! there seem to be a lot of yeast options.

With uk/us Pale ales and IPAs i might use a liquid yeast if the gravity is low enough so that i don't need to faff around with a starter, for stronger beers i use a couple of packs of Dry or if i am m feeling brave pitch on a yeast cake if timing is right.

Are there good options for dry yeast for a dubbel or should i go liquid and maybe chuck two packets down. I want to avoid a starter as they seldom turn out well for me, and everytime i try it i have to buy another bag of spray malt (they get used once and and expire) so may as well invest in two liquid packs. Best option, if the quality is comparable would be dry but my research to date seems to suggest liquid though.

id be interested to hear peoples experience with dubbels and yeast choice!

I can't recommend any dry yeasts because I would always use liquid for a style like this, but you can't go wrong with WLP530, it's a reliable and versatile strain for all things Belgian.

The Mangrove Jacks do a good job (I think I've used M31 and M47), as does SafAle BE-256 (Abbaye). Pitching a pack of two different dry yeasts would be a good alternative in my book.

EDIT: I forgot Safbrew T-58, if it's good enough for De Ranke and De Struisse to make their beers, it's probably worth a try. I've not used it, but have some in to try soon.

Last edited:
Had seen mangrove jacks one recommended elsewhere although the same place I think ruled out Safeale.
a versataule liquid one could make sense. I could brew a half batch of a belgium pale Using one liquid pack and use the yeast cake for the a full batch of Dubbel maybe.

I'll chuck wyeast 3787 into the mix. Made a single with it recently and really enjoying it. I'm sure it'd work great in a double (I'm planning to use in a quad shorty)

Liquid yeast options.

WY1214Belgian aleChimayWLP500 Trappist ale
WY3787Trappish High GravityWestmalleWLP530 Abbey Ale Yeast
WY3522Belgian ArdennesAchouffeWLP550 Belgian Ale Yeast
WY1762Abbey IIRochefortWLP540 Abbey IV Ale Yeast
WY1388Belgian Strong AleDuvel (Moortgart) via McEwansWLP570 Belgian Golden Ale Yeast

Cher’s fir feedback. My latest Idea is to do a small batch of Belgium pale and pitch on the yeast cake from that. However given the behaviour of Belgium yeast not if that’s a good idea or not?

current best practice seems to be to keep It low around 18c for the first few days of active fermentation then let it free rise and holding the final temps it reaches until fermentation complete, which could be around 27c or more.

What would this mean for the yeast‘s health in terms of repitching again straight after racking? Going from 27 to 18 would surely mean a stalled ferment?

Pitching onto the yeast cake is the worst option regardless of the change in temperature, as ester formation occurs largely during the growth and reproduction stage. The massive over pitch of dumping onto the yeast cake bypasses this, along with adding all the unpleasant stuff like dead cells and proteins that have dropped out from the previous beer.

take your point , but it shouldnt be an over pitch as this will be a half batch and the following batch will be a full one and have a much higher OG. Maybe i will harvest it a couple of days before but thinking might get away if timing is right just to use the yeast cake. Is this potentially more problematic with belgium yeasts than chico strains? if timed right ive had decent results with the later

Latest posts

Back