Yeast question on larger brews

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michking

Reaction score
We are moving up in size our next brew to ~90 litres and have open questions on yeast. Most yeast come in quantities sufficient for 23 litres... does that mean we need to buy 3-4 of the same and pitch or can we use just one/two packs, add a large starter, let them multiply then pitch??

Plan is to brew Sat or Sunday and we already have 2 each of dry. wyeast, and yeast cultures in 50ml vials - any of which happy to use but question becomes is that time to use just 2 or do we need to buy more (as none we got locally so would need to get more asap obviously)

Thanks!

For a large volume 90L+ I tend to use a starter of 20L . . . and pitch the whole starter, not just the yeast slurry.

In my Oatmeal stout (75L) I pitched 4 Sachets (2 Windsor and 2 US05) . . . If you really want to know how much yeast to pitch use the calculator at Mr Malty it is a very good estimate

Aleman said:
For a large volume 90L+ I tend to use a starter of 20L . . . and pitch the whole starter, not just the yeast slurry.

I did that and look where it got me.

IMG-20121022-00088_zps21504af0.jpg

well i would of thought around 5L for a 90L brew but then again i've never brewed that big , i guess you brewed a pale ale at 1040 for the starter a week before ? or do you pitch it after around 2 to 3 days of starter fermenting ? I've read different versions of the same thing more than once in several books i have .

standard for an ale is 1 million cells per 1 degree Plato (4 SG points) per 1 millilitre, that's pretty much what you will get from Mr Malty as Aleman above. For reference a White Lab vial of yeast contains ~ 100 billion cells

Back