Yeast Recommendations for Leffe clone

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AXW123

Regular.
Reaction score
I am looking to do another leffe clone. The last one I made was a good beer using crossmyloof Monk yeast. But I wasn’t sure it actually tasted much like Leffe. I looked up the Maltmiller Leffe clone recipe which uses Safale T-58. Has anybody used this or got any better recommendations for yeast having done something similar? I really like the sort of Belgian flavours (cloves/banana) so would love to hear what others have been successful with.

I reckon most of the Abbey/Belgian/Trappist yeasts will get you in the right area. T-58 probably isn't a bad call, Jamil uses WLP500 (Chimay) in his version, CSi use WLP570 (Duvel) in theirs which is probably what I'd go for.

I made one with the MJ M20 yeast. I had the luck of being able to taste fresh Leffe, one day after I drunk one from my own. I was surprised by how similar they were. It's all about the cloves from the yeast.

I used a mix of 30% wheat malt, 60% lager malt and 10% crystal malt 20 EBC. I used a single bitter hop addition for 28 IBU, but this could have been less due to incorrect alpha-acid values. Go for 20-24 IBU. At the tail of the fermentation I moved it to another vessel, so that it could ferment out and drop clear (I left it another month in a fresh place before bottling). And I used a 3:1 ratio of chloride to sulphate.

Did the Leffe clone all grain kit from the Malt Millar, which came with a T-58 yeast.

Came out tasting very similar to the actual thing.

What was your recipe for blonde leffe- did it turn out well?
Turned out really nice the recipe was
4500g Pilsner malt
400g Munich light
600g Flaked corn
300g Dextrose
300g Golden syrup
40g Hersbrucker @ 60m
30g Saaz @ 15m
Yeast CML Monk @ 18C
OG 1064 FG 1012 ABV 6.8%
IBU 21 SRM 4.3

My first attempt at Leffe Blonde style, kept things simple and it turned out well, tested alongside a bottle of Leffe Blonde. ABV 7.27%

15 litre batch
3 kg Pilsner
2.5kg Wheat malt
.050 Crystal 120

40g Saaz pellet @ 45 mins
40g Hallertau Blanc

Mangrove Jack M20 Bavarian yeast

Drinking a Leffe Clone at the moment....................done with a T58 yeast and tastes very authentic.

My first attempt at Leffe Blonde style, kept things simple and it turned out well, tested alongside a bottle of Leffe Blonde. ABV 7.27%

15 litre batch
3 kg Pilsner
2.5kg Wheat malt
.050 Crystal 120

40g Saaz pellet @ 45 mins
40g Hallertau Blanc

Mangrove Jack M20 Bavarian yeast

Really like the sound of this, nice and simple and different to what I normally brew but I like Belgian styles. I have ordered Pilsner, Saaz and some t-58 and having a go.
Is there anything I can substitute for Crystal? I only have base malts, I might just omit it for the first try.

Turned out really nice the recipe was
4500g Pilsner malt
400g Munich light
600g Flaked corn
300g Dextrose
300g Golden syrup
40g Hersbrucker @ 60m
30g Saaz @ 15m
Yeast CML Monk @ 18C
OG 1064 FG 1012 ABV 6.8%
IBU 21 SRM 4.3

Cheshire Cat - did you order flaked corn online - presumably not corn flakes! I have flaked Maize is that similar enough?

:laugh8: Obviously having a blonde moment- sorry! At least it means I’ve mainly got the ingredients!

Back