Yeast Rehydration - Do you? [POLL]

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yeast Hydration Yes or No?

• Yes

Votes: 23 34.3%
  • No

Votes: 35 52.2%
  • Sometimes / Specific Circumstances - Please specify.

Votes: 9 13.4%

• Total voters
Always for mead yeast and I use go-ferm protect since high sugar mead wort is a really challenging environment for yeast to do well in and anything that can give them a head start is good in my book.
Beer - only done once when making a starter for a couple of lagers, but otherwise no.
Wine - never rehydrated them.

Just kegged an IPA using a dried Beirm yeast from Crossmyloof and I'm well impressed with how quickly it got going, and at the low price they have for their yeasts I'd definitely use these again and would think about using multiple packs for lager rather than a starter.

Anna

I always rehydrate with 2 teaspoons brewing sugar, in an hour there is a 1 inch head. Gives me confidence. Oh - did I mention the vitamin C and yeast nutrient - I really do spoil the yeasties....

Yes & No.
I tend to ditch the kit yeast and use Saflager yeast.
US 05, S 04 or a Lager yeast. The first time I use it I rehydrate.
Then I save the yeast from the trub and put it in a jar in the fridge.
When I use the reclaimed yeast in the jar, in it goes as is.

Having said that I've had a couple of off brews.
Infection in one. A white scum on the surface. Bottled it and it doesn't taste that good.
The other one I bottled on a Tuesday. Left in my garage which is fibro with tin roof.
Temperature on the following weekend was 45C in the shade. I put a thermometer on the concrete path. 65C.
I think the beer was affected by the heat during secondary fermentation.
Pretty much a classic Phenolic taste.

So I've gone back to basics for a couple of brews.
Used rehydrated kit yeast. Not opened the FV at all.
Just two weeks at 20 degrees. Bottle & put the bottles back in the fridge at 20 degrees for two weeks.

Never rehydrate.
I’ll over pitch dry yeast (2 pkgs+)
Or, for high gravity brews, make a starter.
Never thought it was worth the contamination risk.

I voted NO...but,I've taken to pitching the yeast straight to the fv as I'm dropping the wort which usually takes 15-20 minutes as I just crack the tap so as to let the trub and hop debris form a crust over the bazooka filter therefore leaving it all in the kettle.

I've never had issues just chucking it in the fermenter. Last time I sprinkled it on top just to see what difference it made but as far as I could tell they took off in the same amount of time.

I voted -

Sometimes / Specific Circumstances - Please specify.

If its a bit cold in my kitchen or my stocks are running a bit low i like to rehydrate to give the yeast a fast start. (this when wine making)

Latest posts

Back