Yeast selection for brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayk34

Landlord.
Reaction score
First time planning on using a liquid yeast for a West Indies porter clone recipe. I should have really read the instructions on the liquid yeast pack as it requires a starter due to the expected OG of 1.063. I don't have the time, equipment or frankly the inclination at the minute to make starter as I'm planning on a brew day in the morning. So my options are.

1. Pitch the white labs liquid Irish ale pitch pure pack and hope for the best.
  2. Pitch s-04
  3. Pitch llallemand Windsor
  4. Pitch mangrove jack M15 empire ale
  5. Pitch mangrove jack M36 liberty bell

Appreciate any input.

I'm assuming you have all those options in stock? I'm also imagining that you'll end up chucking the liquid if you don't use it. Lastly, I suspect that 23l at 1.063 is on the edge of what 10g of dried yeast can do. I'd pitch both, certainly wouldn't pitch the liquid on its own. S04 is horrible, Windsor is not what you want for a beer like this. I've found liberty bell works well in a stout.

I'm assuming you have all those options in stock? I'm also imagining that you'll end up chucking the liquid if you don't use it. Lastly, I suspect that 23l at 1.063 is on the edge of what 10g of dried yeast can do. I'd pitch both, certainly wouldn't pitch the liquid on its own. S04 is horrible, Windsor is not what you want for a beer like this. I've found liberty bell works well in a stout.
Yes, those are the options I have available. Should have really read the instructions. I suppose I could put off this particular recipe for a few weeks so I can fit it in around holidays and creating a starter. Could go for a different recipe tomorrow when I have the time for a brew day

Yes, those are the options I have available. Should have really read the instructions. I suppose I could put off this particular recipe for a few weeks so I can fit it in around holidays and creating a starter. Could go for a different recipe tomorrow when I have the time for a brew day

No, I would go for it and make a mental note to get a liquid yeast starter process properly thought out for the future. The suggestion of the liquid plus Liberty Belle sounds good. If you have any DME, then an overnight starter for the IA yeast might not be a worst plan in the world?

No, I would go for it and make a mental note to get a liquid yeast starter process properly thought out for the future. The suggestion of the liquid plus Liberty Belle sounds good. If you have any DME, then an overnight starter for the IA yeast might not be a worst plan in the world?
Just checked and have no DME or lme. Thought I had some but must have used it all, so the starter was a no go from the off !! Never used liquid yeast which is why I've made this cock up

Will have a think about a different recipe or going ahead in the morning with the liberty + liquid yeast.

Thanks guys

I agree. Making a starter is a piece of cake, I hesitated for ages before jumping in, now I've got plastic bottles of overbuilt starters taking up most of the top shelf of a fridge 🤣

Well that's all the water treated with campden on the boiler and sparge, grains, hops and water additions weighed out ready for the morning. Going with the clone recipe and the liquid and liberty yeast.

Latest posts

Back