Yeast starter noob

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keruso

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi, after a recent topic on the "five homebrew things I won't do" one of which I said was use liquid yeast, I need a little advice. My "go-to" brews are IPA's, I aim for an OG of 1.065 sometimes more but rarely if ever under. Whitelabs recommend three purepitch packs for a 1.065+ brew which means an eye-watering cost of £24 for a 20 litre batch. Even with two packs £16 is way too expensive. So a yeast starter is a must. Whitelabs suggest one purepitch pack in a 1 litre starter is sufficient for a brew up to 1.065 OG. I'll go with that.

Whitelabs procedure says to add half a cup of DME to a litre of water, add the yeast for roughly 1.040. Keep at room temperature for 18 hours.
The yeast will flocculate, when you are ready to brew, decant off most (80%) of the clear liquid from the top. My questions are:-

In 18 hours does that mean a mini fermentation is complete, alcohold created, yeast flocculates and in doing so will have at least doubled cell count ? Therefore that's why you want the yeast not the remaing liquid.

Equipment for 1 litre starter, is this enough ?
2 litre erlenmeyer flask or similar
DME
Stir plated (optional)

Thanks

I wouldn’t even bother with a flask for your first go, a 2L Coke bottle will be fine.

A few years ago, Coke did a limited run of 3L bottles and I found that great, but mine went walkies when I moved house.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t even bother with a flask for your first go, a 2L Coke bottle will be fine.

A few years ago, Coke did a limited run of 3L bottles and I found that great, but mine went walkies when I moved house.

+1 on this. For the first wee while I used 5l spring water bottles when making huge lager starters. Just loosen the lid and you're good to go.

Latest posts

Back