Yeast starter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Realalemonster

Reaction score
After about 15 years since my last AG brew, I'm ready to start again. I remember to make a yeast starter I would take about 300 ml of wort and add my yeast to this till it bubbled up nicely to it's magical goodness. Is this method ok or is there a better way?

My understanding is that 1 to 2ltrs for a typical batch is more common although it depends on how much wort you are intending to ferment. This can be left to settle or cold crashed so the spent wort can be poured off the top before pitching. An online calculator will help you to work out a more accurate size of starter to make based on your batch size, OG etc.

My understanding is that 1 to 2ltrs for a typical batch is more common although it depends on how much wort you are intending to ferment. This can be left to settle or cold crashed so the spent wort can be poured off the top before pitching. An online calculator will help you to work out a more accurate size of starter to make based on your batch size, OG etc.
Thanks. Just used Brewers Friend's calculator (forgot about using that!), and that says 2L for a 20L batch but that was using DME (320g).
Would you recommend using DME rather than 2L of wort?

I think the majority of people are using DME at a rate of 100g per litre of water. The calculators will tell you how much volume you need based on the age of your liquid yeast pack and your method of aeration.

I'll be using dried yeast not liquid yeast.
Then you don't actually need to make a starter although one might be better.
This is what Crossmyloof recommend for their yeasts off their website
REHYDRATING INSTRUCTIONS: Although Crossmyloof Yeasts don’t require rehydration, cleaner, quicker and more professional results will be produced if rehydrated before use. For all strains add the sachet contents to 100ml of water previously boiled and adjusted to a temperature between 21-25°c. If fermenting at a lower temp (i.e. using Kolsch at a lower temp), rehydrate using 100 ml of 17-20°C water. Stir gently into a yeast cream, let stand for 15-20 minutes then add yeast cream directly to wort. Alternatively the dry yeast can be added directly to the wort by sprinkling onto the surface and leaving to stand for 10-15 minutes before stirring. Aerate your wort once the yeast has been pitched for 5 minutes

As @terrym says, a starter isn't generally required when using dry yeast (there is usually enough cells in a packet for a typical batch), unless with a lager where you may want to double pitch the amount from one packet or perhaps if you want to overbuild to harvest yeast for a future batch.

Rehydrating the dry yeast is perhaps what you were thinking of in your original question and this is something I usually do, as per terrys post.

Latest posts

Back