Yeast Subs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewnaldo

Landlord.
Reaction score
What info do people use to select an appropriate yeast when the apparently frequent situation comes up that you cant get what you want? I recently couldnt get Ediburgh Ale or Scottish Ale for a 60 shilling so selected Wyeast British Ale II in the hope that it's of similar style, but I couldnt find anything much other tha some Maerican websites to give me an idea.

Does anyone know if it will yield similar results? But more importantly, where do you look to find out the best alternative yeasts?

https://www.saltcitybrewsupply.com/media/YeastComparison3.pdf
This is the one I tend to look to for liquid yeast comparisons albeit this is more geared toward manufacturer.

So for the Scottish ale, in absence of Wyeast or White Labs, Imperial Yeast offer the Tartan strain. Not mentioned on this chart, weirdly, is Omega Yeast Labs who also offer a Scottish ale strain.

Incidentally, DNA sequencing has shown that the Wyeast Scottish ale and White Labs Edinburgh ale are not actually the same strain even though they both come from the McEwans brewery.

Also worth noting that Wyeast, White Labs and Imperial yeast all have guides on their website to which of their yeasts are suitable for certain styles.

Latest posts

Back