Yeast taste

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomR

Reaction score
Hi I've just started brewing again using all grain recipes. I've brewed a bitter and a budvar.
The bitter took a while to.start and I chucked in several different yeasts in a panic. The budvar was brewed probably at too high a temperature.
Both have got a yeasty homebrew taste. Any suggestions?

Where are you on the brewing timeline? Yeast drops out of the beer with time, cool temperatures and sometimes the aid of finings.

Too high temperatures during the first few days of fermentation can give an estery, pear-drop flavour due to the formation of fusel alcohols (also responsible for hangovers). Fusel alcohols don't taste of yeast.

Hi my first batch of bitter just hasn't fully cleared. It's been in cool conditions for weeks now. It's drinkable but just has that yeasty homebrew aftertaste. I panicked when it was slow to start and threw ale yeast followed by lager yeast in.
My budvar has cleared nicely and has only just gone into the garage which is very cool. It was brewed at to high a temperature at the start of the ferment. I need to learn to be patient.
The yeast was a lager yeast which I started several days before and the ferment was immediate.
I have used and airlock with my fermentìng bin but I'm not sure if I should let air In?
All advice welcome

Lagers in particular need a long conditioning time, 3 months+. The lager I bottled back in Aug is only just starting to come good.

Also worth cooling your FV for 48hrs before bottling so that most of the suspended yeast drops out.

Ooh thanks for that advice. I never cool down before bottling. I worry I won't get the secondary fermentation in the bottle.

The first one was with a smashpack yeast can't remember what (I know I should keep notes) then I threw a packet of fairly generic lager yeast in. I was pretty sure the first ale wasn't gonna be great.
With the lager it was lager yeast. I have a Klarstein mashing tun and there were several steps in the mash. I got the temperatures and timings out. The initial temp was too high and I never got things back on track.
In my defence it's only the second time I've used the Klarstein.

Ooh thanks for that advice. I never cool down before bottling. I worry I won't get the secondary fermentation in the bottle.
My beers get around a week at fridge temp (3-5c ish) once the gravity is stable before bottling, carb no bother. Some have had closer to 2 weeks due to being busy and they might carb a bit slower but still no issues. I've heard of folks lagering for a month and it still carbs fine, just slower, longer than that and it seems more common to re-yeast at bottling since it's not worth the risk. Beer that's clear to the eye still has plenty of yeast in suspension to do the conditioning.

Shame about these batches, good luck for future brews.

How long ago did this happen?

Minimum for me is six weeks (the 2+2+2 method) after I've pitched the yeast before I even taste a brew.

If I could detect the taste of yeast at that stage I would just leave it for another month and try again.

The yeast taste if because you've got lots of yeast in suspention (especially if you chucked loads of packets on yeast in). You can also get something called 'yeast bite' which is a nasty bitter taste. This again comes from having yeast in suspension. As dutto says, just leave it alone. Eventually the yeast will settle out. If you can chill the beer down to about 0C it'll settle out faster. If your not vegetarian you can use gelatine to drag it out of suspension

The longer I've left it the better it's tasting but I've learned some valuable lessons for my next brew which is this weekend...Batemans xxxb

Latest posts

Back