yeast type

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druid

Reaction score
Just about to put a few gallons of cider on ( from store juice ) and have seen recipes that call for champagne yeast (lalvin ec118) and other calling for ale yeast. Any thoughts on which one? Or is it down to taste?

cheers

If you want a very dry cider then the champagne yeast is probably the best to use.

Just to put it out there.....

I used to use various cider yeasts and found they came out a shade dry for my taste.

About a year or so ago I found a cider yeast with sweetener (E950) built in, suitable for 25L, on eBay and have been using it ever since.

So if you're after a medium/dry cider, it might be worth a shot

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Just put a turbo on myself. I use Gervin GV4 high alcohol wine yeast. I like to use this one cause I know it ferments from the bottom with no frothing. So when I rack to a demijohn in a week or so I know I can fill it to the top.

The stuff I use barely froths up at all too actually, so little that I can only tell It a fermenting by the change in colour and the fizzing sound !

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Hi Roddy

Thread resurrection I know - but do you still get your E950 yeast? If so, do you have a link please. I want to try a couple of your recipes and want to match the yeast too

Cheers

Latest posts

Back