Yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Matt cheers, I have a metal shed which is cold very cold in winter so may brew some lagers ready for next summer, you know brewing with the seasons sounds good a bit like cooking with seasonal veggie's no I am not a veggie lol acheers.

I brew with the seasons. I dont have temp control. I have little corner in my kitchen which can range from 14C -27C over the year. I just use appropriate yeast for the temp.

Notty is the ultimate work horse yeast as it can be fermented at (and I've used it at) temps from 14C- 27C

Another approach is to take a fixed recipe and try different yeasts -

As mentioned I 'brew with the seasons' but In all my brewing 'career' I've never actually thought of doing this. Usually I'll firstly note the temp in my brewing corner, select an appropriate yeast for that temp, then select an appropriate styleof beer to brew for the yeast. I think I might try this as I have a favourite Bitter recipe and I like the idea of keeping things simple by just make the same recipe most of the time - K.I.S.S./occums brewery :laugh8:

Jeez, where have you been? Haven't seen a post from you for ages...

Yeah, life threw some curve balls at me bud, somewhat less than fun times, then topped off with developing what is most likely rheumatoid arthritis, so brewing got put on a back burner for a while. Getting my head back in order now, and I'm on strong (I mean strong) pain killers, so trying to get back to a bit of brewing again, even if I can't really drink it (see comment about pain killers... lol). ;)

I flat refuse to give up and walk away, enjoy the hobby too much, even if I'm not allowed to drink....aheadbutt

As mentioned I 'brew with the seasons' but In all my brewing 'career' I've never actually thought of doing this. Usually I'll firstly note the temp in my brewing corner, select an appropriate yeast for that temp, then select an appropriate styleof beer to brew for the yeast. I think I might try this as I have a favourite Bitter recipe and I like the idea of keeping things simple by just make the same recipe most of the time - K.I.S.S./occums brewery :laugh8:

That's literally how I brew though, throwing yeasts at styles they don't usually go with.... How many porters did I brew with Kveik? lol

Back