YeastFace Brewdays

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Life got in the way on Monday, but brewing this today.

Mash went swimmingly and hit all pre-boil numbers. Likewise with the boil.

Glad I picked this to brew this week and not a lager, as not sure the chiller would have got much under 20°. In any case wort has gone into fermenter at 27.5°c.

From previous use of Philly Sour, it will take 3 days to get to target PH. Interested to see how the Kveik will interact with the fruit. Reason behind using it is to enhance the tropical fruit aromas, so hopefully it works well.
 
Just bottled my mixed ferm thing, will not be repeating that.

Bought a Kegland handheld counter pressure bottlegun to use on mixed ferm stuff. A mix of user error (doubt it's designed for highly carbed beers) and terrible deisgn (the rubber stopper not being held in properly, the plastic trigger not being heat shrunk) made for an awful experience. I couldn't recommend it as the rubber stopper is simply absolute ****.
 
Last edited:
The sour is down to 3.5ph today, so have added the fruit and Mango Madness.

Have done some calculations and based on the PH and Brix provided in the Funkin datasheets, the fruit additions shouldn't change the PH but will give me 6 more gravity points.

Having said that hopefully the Philly Sour can make a start on the fruit before the Mango Madness gets to work and maybe drop it another PH point or two.
 
Down to 1.010and 3.4ph last night.

I then read that fruit should be added Post-Fermentation in a Catharina Sour. Whoops.

Not sure I'd want to be adding metabisulphate and then add fruit in any case so this is back to being a regular fruited sour.
 
Mashing in an Irish Red. Will be putting this one on mixed gas when done.

1000070605.jpg
 
My next few brews will be lagers, but haven't been able to get any RO water and probably won't in the next couple of weeks. I've decided to use some of the base malt earmarked for an ESB to brew a British Golden with some hops and yeast I got at LAB Open.

Grist is low colour maris otter, and a touch of carapils (didn't have any wheat) and caramalt. Hops are Challenger, EKG for flavour, Styrians for aroma, and a whirlpool and dry hop with Hallertau Blanc. Yeast is WHC Saturated.

Finished at 1.040, a point under expected, but should end up with a ~4% summer quencher.

Safely in the fermenter at 19°c. Just waiting for iSpindel to charge and will drop that in this evening.
 
Brewed a Witbier today.

Grist was extra pale, flaked wheat, wheat malt, oats, and a bit of chit malt. Hops were EKG and First Gold (which smelt incredible).

Flavoured with coriander seed, grains of paradise (both of these lightly toasted - smell was again amazing), chamomile (on the low end of these) and the peel of two oranges and lemons.

1000073562.jpg


Will be fermented with Fermentis BW-20. Just waiting on temp to drop another degree or two.
 
Brewed a Witbier today.

Grist was extra pale, flaked wheat, wheat malt, oats, and a bit of chit malt. Hops were EKG and First Gold (which smelt incredible).

Flavoured with coriander seed, grains of paradise (both of these lightly toasted - smell was again amazing), chamomile (on the low end of these) and the peel of two oranges and lemons.

View attachment 101487

Will be fermented with Fermentis BW-20. Just waiting on temp to drop another degree or two.
Looking good with some fresh ingredients 👍🏼 chamomile 🤔not a fan 😋
 
Back
Top