Yeasts

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jam

Regular.
Reaction score
What is a good yeast for a turbo cider recipe please I don't understand why there are so many different types so I want to stick to one but not sure which.

Ive heard the CML cider yeast is good, I have some packets in the fridge but not tried them yet. They are certainly cheaper than most others.
Why are there so many different types

Champagne yeast ec 1118 is the one i normally use. very very tough and reliable.

You ask why are there so many types
The answer is "Why are there so many breeds of dog."

I am not been flippant that really is the reason,Each strain is bred for certain special characteristcs most yeasts (and dogs)
did not exist in nature,as we know them today.Until man developed them for specific requirments.

I'd got it my head from somewhere that both cider yeast and champagne yeast were the same strain, ie S. Bayanus. Any thoughts on this, anyone?

They may have started out with similar ancestors,I dont know for sure,But they will be very different critters now.

When Ive used the champagne yeasts for cider, I found that it was a little dry. It was suggested that I try a cider yeast...or an ale yeast ( which just went into the bottle ) Im not sure if I got good advice, but it was suggested that a different yeast might not make the cider as dry as the 118. Ill know in about a month.

Re:> druid1996 Yes ec1118 has a Very high published alcohol tolerance (18%) and will ferment most musts to absolute bone dryness.

For any one thats interested

The selection of yeast strains over many many years was not done in the lab as it is today.But by dumping the mulm from the fermenting vats at the base of the vines as fertiliser.
The surviving yeast cells eventually colonised the area,Giving rise to unique strains to each winemaking region.

Back