Yeasty residue in pint glass - sign of infection?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horners

Landlord.
Reaction score
A couple of my recent beers have been exhibiting a kind of broken up head that lingers till the pint has finished and which frankly loos a little unpleasant. Someone else posted about something similar recently and it was suggested that this may be symptomatic of an infection.

Anyway I have just been clearing out a few empties (few days old) from the brewcave and the glasses that my Pendles Witch Clone (WLP005 - British Ale yeast) have been drunk from are absolutely filthy with a fairly thick yeasty residue.

The beer itself doesn't taste off but doesn't taste great either. What do folk thin -k the yeasty film is some kind of wild yeast that is carrying on fermenting and reproducing in the keg?

All potentially suspect beers have been fermented in the same stainless FV. What is the best deep cleaning regime? Have given them a good scrub in hot oxi, anything else I should be doing?

Cheers

Horners

• Do you bottle?
  • Do you use bottling yeast?
  • When using bottling yeast, how much do you use?
  • When you pour, is the first part of the bottle clear?
  • Do you have a picture of the head of your beer?
  • Do you smell or taste something mouldy?
  • Do you smell or taste something acidic?
  • Do you taste something like port or sherry-like?

• Do you bottle?
  • Do you use bottling yeast?
  • When using bottling yeast, how much do you use?
  • When you pour, is the first part of the bottle clear?
  • Do you have a picture of the head of your beer?
  • Do you smell or taste something mouldy?
  • Do you smell or taste something acidic?
  • Do you taste something like port or sherry-like?

No to all of the above. Beer is in cornies. Will take a photo this afternoon. Will give me an excuse for an early pint.

For a deep clean I’d give Antiformin a try, or bleach diluted correctly.

I had a lager recently that mutated into a Belgian beer once in the keg (wasn’t too bad actually, @samale is still alive after trying it 😂) but after using Antiformin I’ve had no issues

Latest posts

Back