Yesterday fishing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint

Forum jester...🏅🏆
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMG_20180914_132715.jpg
IMG_20180914_131840.jpg
IMG_20180914_120723.jpg
managed a few hours fishing yesterday...opted for some lure fishing. Nothing big..a couple of small jack pike and a perch. Check out the tiny pike that tried to eat a lure nearly half his size!

Clint l,ve been a Match Angler since the 80,s and now beach fish in a local team. Have been everywhere and had some great times .

I've done most types of freshwater fishing..general coarse,match,specimen and fly. Only done the odd bit of sea fishing on hols catching mackerel and pollack.

Fished for Medway Tackle , DELAC & Fox FX match.... loved the 90,s London canal circuit.... learned lots.... Derek Young and Dave Vincent ...World class...

I used to do a lot of course fishing on our local canal but over time it got very weedy and in the end i gave up, every peg used to be taken almost every weekend with matches but the weed put them off and they slowly stopped coming a shame really as it went from this pics 1,2 & 3 to how it looks now in picture 4.

maxresdefault.jpg

P1800797.JPG

iiiiiiiiiii.jpg

ulverston-canal4-db.jpg

Last edited:
Great stuff... sounds like my local Royal Military canal we had 1000 anglers fish down here in one big National ..... no way these days... each 5 miles owned by different clubs .
Have fished the ... military, Kennett and Avon , Gloucester , Exeter , regency , grand union, and Lancashire camel catching the rare Bitterling a small silver fish with a blue line.

I've caught bitterling. Best oddball was a ten spined stickleback. Desperate to have a go at pike on the fly but the bank fishing is too restrictive for it. I used to like fishing for land locked specimen eels..had some right old snakes. In fact I'll fish for anything and can't resist stopping for a look if we come across any bit of water.

Fly fished with cork balls for carp that was good fun.....as for big eels Rye Nook with dead maggots on the pole with fish to 3lb bloody were scary

Love lure fishing. I'm only a few miles from the coast so target bass mainly from the shore. You got me thinking about a spot of piking though Clint, it's been years.....

It's no bother if you have the right kit and handle them confidently. Large unhooking mat,long reach pliers and wire cutters minimum. One thing I really should get is a rubber coated net to stop any hooks getting stuck...

I've caught bitterling. Best oddball was a ten spined stickleback. Desperate to have a go at pike on the fly but the bank fishing is too restrictive for it.

E's at it again. What the feck does this mean???? The other day he was talking about metal detecting but I would have had more luck working out what he was on about if he was typing in arameic. I think we need a Clint glossary.

I'm sorry to say that nowadays I'm a "yooster" 'cos I "yooster" do every kind of fishing imaginable and took a fishing rod with me no matter where I went in the world.

Happy Days ... athumb..

... that will only return if they find a cure for arthritis! aheadbutt

BTW I was sorting out a few bits of gear for my grandson a few months back and discovered three porcupine quill floats that I had made way back in 1959! I knew they were "originals" because they had a loop of copper wire at the bottom (I preferred to fish peg-leg) which was attached with black sewing thread protected with a few coats of my Mum's nail varnish!

I worked on Butlins Amusement Park here in Skegness during the school summer holidays. The Park had a small zoo with a porcupine in attendance. The porcupine shed its spines on a regular basis but I also discovered that if I poked it with a broom handle it would shed even more of its spines in self-defence. By the time I returned to school at the end of the holidays, I had a large selection of floats that were up to 14" (350mm) long; and the poor porcupine was almost bald!

Happy Days (for me if not the porcupine)! :laugh8:

I love the idea of fishing. Every time I go to cornwall I think about going on one of those sea fishing trips. I never do though - just end up in the pub

Fishing's a funny business - when I was a teenager me and a couple of mates used to go fishing for mackerel off the harbour wall in Whitby. All of us using feathers attached to hooks. I used to catch a few but Dave could drop a bare hook into the water anywhere and pull out a fish. He'd catch loads. The other guy never ever caught anything and we'd no idea why because we were all using the same kit and all doing exactly the same thing with it sat just a few yards apart...

We still get carp fishers on the canal not a species i was ever interested in as the prospect of spending many days and nights hoping for the big one to bit didn't appeal.

The amount of gear they use/need is amazing - Skip to 1:15 -

I used to do a fair bit before life got in the way. Still got some of my gear stashed up in the eves of the garage but it hasn't seen the light of day since well before we moved into our house and that was over 10 years ago. My 7 year old son has expressed a bit of an interest so may well take him one day. No shortage of fishing around here, the Severn is only about half a mile from me along with a few tributaries and a couple of canals. Loads of commercial fisheries about too.

Started proper fishing when I was about 14, just coarse fishing to begin with but the progressed onto carp. Biggest I ever caught was just over 23lb. Also been sea fishing a few times and learnt that you'll never experience true sea sickness until you've been out on a boat sea fishing. Wouldn't go with taking some tablets first now.

BTW I was sorting out a few bits of gear for my grandson a few months back and discovered three porcupine quill floats that I had made way back in 1959! I knew they were "originals" because they had a loop of copper wire at the bottom (I preferred to fish peg-leg) which was attached with black sewing thread protected with a few coats of my Mum's nail varnish!

I'm glad someone else still has ancient home-made kit. I still have a few floats I made back in the late 1950s, including a green one that was my favourite - used to catch gudgeon and small perch in a local pond, in darkest Lancashire. I've also still got the Bernard Venables book on making your own fishing tackle. I used to raid the local farm for goose quills, not having a local porcupine. Pinched sewing thread, copper wire and Mum's nail varnish were standards. Kids don't do that sort of thing these days.

Latest posts

Back