Yesterday fishing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
........... I've also still got the Bernard Venables book on making your own fishing tackle. .......... Kids don't do that sort of thing these days.

I have to ask:

"Did you EVER catch a roach using a bit of silk-weed draped over a hook?|

I'm sure it was recommended in the Venables book. I tried it many times without success, but stopped after my Dad asked me "Why would a fish want to eat a bit of weed draped over your hook when it has tons of it attached to that weir?"

Very few kids nowadays know how to whip a new eye or replace the intermediate whipping on a split-cane rod. (*What's one of them?" do I hear a youngster ask?)

Of course, maybe we were a lot more gullible back then. aunsure....

I remember buying a plastic floating "fly chrysalis" on a hook ... athumb..

... and then forgot a tin of maggots for a week and discovered that I had thousands of 'em. :laugh8:

Happy Days! clapa

I have to ask:

"Did you EVER catch a roach using a bit of silk-weed draped over a hook?

Nope, never did.
I've had a thought (they don't happen very often these days). Do you remember how it used to be said that salmon flies are much more attractive to salmon, and therefore catch more fish, if they have a bit of female pubic hair incorporated into the dressing? The hypothesis was that it's something to do with hormone scent.
Well, .... is that why so many women are now shaved? Are they all married to salmon anglers?

I love the idea of fishing. Every time I go to cornwall I think about going on one of those sea fishing trips. I never do though - just end up in the pub
I've never seen the point of sitting for hours at the end of a rod with a box of maggots, but I tried sea fishing once, off Harwich somewhere, and it was an absolute hoot.
I asked the boat skipper "Where's the toilet?" and he pointed to the sea.......

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-18_12-40-53.png
    upload_2018-9-18_12-40-53.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 51
Just been to see a mate fishing. While there he had a run and i helped him land a cracking 28lb common carp. While he was dealing with it his other rod went..I picked it up and played it for a while..I seen it..as big as the first easily but it came off. He's just txt...had another smaller one and a bream...

Is there sommat going on here? Is fishing and home brewing linked in some way?

I've been a keen angler since I was about 6 (56 now) and got interested in brewing while I was in college in the late 80`s. Kits these days, as I don't have the space.

Nice to know I'm not on my own!

My grandad introduced me to fishing when I was a nipper. He was mad keen but never caught much. Spent some golden days fishing on the rivers Swale and Tweed in school holidays with my grandad and brother. Learned to cast a fly (practiced loads on the school field with a weight forward line) and even got into tying flies at the age of 12. Loved the creative side, the knots (yes, I could whip an eye on a caned rod and have done several times long ago. Whipping was a skill needed for tying off the thread on flies too), the skills too, but never had the patience to sit all day actually fishing. Not like my grandad, rest his soul.

Back