Yet another lockdown noob....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedKennedys

Reaction score
Hello! I'm one of the Johnny-come-lately's who have been emptying every Wilko in a 5 mile radius over the last few months! Sorry about that!

My girlf and I have been messing about with some homebrew wines, with varying degrees of success. I'm quite methodical and to the letter whereas Alice takes a more freeform jazz approach to the whole thing.

We've made a lovely elderflower champagne that is really very drinkable indeed when served ice cold. I bottled a mead made with cheap honey from up the co-op yesterday that actually tastes pretty good, surprisingly! We've got an elderflower "cider" made with copella apple juice that has potential to be quite nice. We won't mention the rice, sultana and mint wine that is sitting sadly in the corner like a goth at a house party.

We've also made a Mangrove Jack's Rye IPA that is gorgeous, a Wilko Velvet Stout that is equally gorgeous and we've got one of the Wilko Crafty Devil Red IPAs bubbling away as we speak. The beer kits are proving to be a bit too easy so I'm planning on tweaking the next batch of Stout (Cooper's Irish) to make the process a bit more difficult and fraught with danger.

We've progressed this far as lurkers on this excellent forum and are now reaching the point of asking lots of questions and hopefully having our more reckless ideas shot down before we make a terrible mistake!

Thanks for having us!
Ted and Alice

Hi and welcome to the forum, seems you're both having a good time and keeping busy. Next up all grain with lots of different options available...
Yeah, we've been at it pretty nonstop for a while now. Mostly so we can sit and watch the bubbles tbh :p

We're thinking we'll do a couple more kits with added extras before we get on the grain. And we've got some posh maple syrup and honey to mess about with too :)

Welcome. Have you tried a WOW? ( a wow is wine made with supermarket juice)
Yeah, we've got a coppela apple juice and elderflower thing on the go at the moment. We've been calling it a cider but it's probably not one :p
Smells and tastes lovely and was on about 10% when I tested it the other day.

Great, did you use fresh elderflowers? I only ask because I have had success with using dried elderflowers in a white wine kit and plan to buy some. Dried elderberries also help make a red wine. Red grape juice only makes a rosé.

Great, did you use fresh elderflowers? I only ask because I have had success with using dried elderflowers in a white wine kit and plan to buy some. Dried elderberries also help make a red wine. Red grape juice only makes a rosé.
Yeah we used fresh elderflower and some Wilko wine yeast and brewing sugar :)

Welcome TedKennedys and girlf.

I'm one of the Johnny-come-lately's who have been emptying every Wilko in a 5 mile radius over the last few months!

It's a step up from hoarding bogrolls, you gotta admit! :laugh8:

sitting sadly in the corner like a goth at a house party.
That's an amazing expression, never heard it before. Going to love and cherish it.

athumb..
Welcome. Have you tried a WOW? ( a wow is wine made with supermarket juice)
haha thanks for the definition...I was too embarrassed to ask myself being fairly "new" but at least id read the topic pages!
I will be starting a TC in earnest tomorrow after a trip to wilko's athumb..

Latest posts

Back