Yet Another Novice Brewer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delmol

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I’m Ben!

Novice brewer here and a lurker of the forums!

I’m fairly new to brewing having only attempted to make a 1 Gal batch of Mead a few months ago.

The ferment went really well, got it all bottled and left for aging. After 5 months of aging I decided to crack open a bottle and it was great.

I decided to leave the other few bottles for a few more months to see if it would improve. Sadly when I went to enjoy my mead they had all started to turn to vinegar!

I have a feeling I might have left a bit too much air in the bottles, but it’s a learning process!

Unfazed by my bottling and aging mishap I have decided to give it a proper go this time, getting myself a few 5 Gal FV’s and upgrading some of my equipment.

I’ve started a cheap and cheerful 5 Gal Red Wine kit to see how it goes (though the airlock blew off last night… twice!).

I’ve also got a Cooper’s Real Ale kit on the way and I’m looking to forward to getting some cider on the go as well soon.

So much to brew, so little time!

I’m glad to be enjoying a new hobby and I’d love to hear and tips/trick that you might have!

Hi Chippy thanks for the quick response

I'm currently using one of the 'standard' two chamber airlocks.

The problem seemed to be that the wood chips included in the kit seemed to have bubbled up through the airlock - eventually creating a blockage.

Pressure built up, eventually causing my airlock to fire across the room!

The blow off sounds like a good idea, simple to make and could save me a lot of time cleaning up yeasty sludge off my floor!

I'll look into making one tonight that I can use until the ferment settles down a little :)

Welcome to the Forum. :thumb: :thumb:

Regard the Mead as a "Wake-up Call" as the mantra "Sanitise, sanitise and then sanitise again!" is very much needed in brewing.

I hope you haven't thrown the mead away just yet as all wines go through phases as they mature so it may still come good (it happens very occasionally) ... :thumb: :thumb:

... or (more likely) you may finish up with a fantastic white vinegar to sprinkle on your chips or make salad dressing! :whistle: :whistle:

... or (more likely) you may finish up with a fantastic white vinegar to sprinkle on your chips or make salad dressing! :whistle: :whistle:

This was my first thought :)

I'm going to keep it for the time being (just in case) but I have a feeling that it will be accompanying my fish and chips instead!

When you start your wine its a good idea to fill it to the begging of the shoulder then top up a few days later when fermentation is less vigorous.

If you are going to make wine and beer you may be interested in this - http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=49462

I'll definitely keep this in mind for next time.

When started the brew I just followed the kit word for word, though I did think the gap was a little wishful!

Next time I'll be filling it up a lot less!

If you are going to make wine and beer you may be interested in this -

Looks like a great resource and just what I want to get into!

Hmm, I just so happen to have a spare 1 Gal DJ hanging around, I might be making a trip to the supermarket this evening...

Latest posts

Back