Yet another StarSan question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GhostShip

Reaction score
Sorry. I've just never really got to grips with the whole StarSan thing for some reason.

I've just coated the inside of all of my bottles with StarSan using a bottle rinser. The StarSan instructions say it needs to be in contact with the surface for one minute and should then air dry.

Given we're talking about the insides of bottles, they would probably take 2/3 days to fully air dry.

The bottles are now on the bottle tree and I'm going to bottle this afternoon. Given that the insides of the bottles will still be wet with StarSan/StarSan foam, is this a problem or a risk to health in any way?

Thank you for any guidance.

So I've wondered about this myself and read lots about it... but thought I should go away and look at the research:

The closest study I can find to using the acidic ingredients in StarSan/Chemsan is this paper that applied dilute acidic solutions with the phosphoric, dodecylbenzenesulfonic acids and others to plastic films and metal:
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17995615/3 minutes or more was required for sanitisation at room temperature, or <36 seconds at 40 deg. Interestingly hydrogen peroxide 35% was effective at less than 15s at room temperature. Since hydrogen peroxide is completely degraded by yeast very rapidly (we used this reaction to power my daughter's geography volcano model for the eruption). I'm very tempted to use Hydrogen peroxide as a spray, though ensuring my hair is tied back and not wearing clothes I'd object to bleaching!

Anna

So I've wondered about this myself and read lots about it... but thought I should go away and look at the research:

The closest study I can find to using the acidic ingredients in StarSan/Chemsan is this paper that applied dilute acidic solutions with the phosphoric, dodecylbenzenesulfonic acids and others to plastic films and metal:
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17995615/3 minutes or more was required for sanitisation at room temperature, or <36 seconds at 40 deg. Interestingly hydrogen peroxide 35% was effective at less than 15s at room temperature. Since hydrogen peroxide is completely degraded by yeast very rapidly (we used this reaction to power my daughter's geography volcano model for the eruption). I'm very tempted to use Hydrogen peroxide as a spray, though ensuring my hair is tied back and not wearing clothes I'd object to bleaching!

Anna

That’s really interesting. Thank you!

Post washing and Starsan rinse I air dry my bottles on a bottle tree overnight, and then cap them with tin foil to keep out dust etc, until I’m ready to fill them.

ACEE3A42-1B34-4F73-B9C0-C8C41A6E45A9.jpeg

On this forum somewhere I read that the guy behind Starsan drank it to show it was completely harmless to humans,also the same guy talked about thin bleach and distilled vinegar mixed with water to the correct ratio, it creates a sanitiser which works on contact. I used this method a number of times and because the amounts of bleach and vinegar are so small it leaves everything odourless, but never mix bleach and vinegar directly together as it creates harmful fumes, always add to the water separately.The ratio I work with is for 1ltr of water add 2ml distilled vinegar,stir in ,then add 2ml thin bleach and mix in.Worth a try but don't leave anything rubber soaking for too long as the solution will break it down.

Back