Yoopers APA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Going to attempt Yoopers APA that I found on another forum and that seems to be up there with Ed Worts pale as a legendary home brew recipe.

For what its worth this is my intended recipe for tomorrow, after I have converted to the metric system (insert Pulp Fiction line), switched to the Weyermann equivalent malts and reduced for my batch size of 15l (I reduced by a factor of 0.9 rather than 0.75 though since I never get close to 75% efficiency). I just tried to keep the % of grains of the original and aim as close to 1.058. I have gone with a Cascade and Summit version as recommended by another poster rather than the all Cascade original...

Malt:
Pale Malt 2kg
Vienna malt 1.2kg
Munich malt 800g
Carahell 200g
Caramunich III 200g

Planning to mash at 65 celsius.

Hops:

Cascade 30g @60 mins
Cascade 15g @ 30 mins
Summit 15g @15 mins
Summit 15g @ Flameout

irish moss 4g @15 min

Yeast: Safale US-05

Dry hop (consecutive not concurrent):
30g Cascade 3 days
30g Summit 3 days

Any last minute advice?

I use Summit and Cascade in one of my standard beers (got one carbing as I write) and it is really enjoyable. However I use Summit for bittering (15% AA !) and Cascade for the later additions. Apparently some folks get odd flavours with using Summit late on (garlic?!) although I have not noticed any whatsoever.

I use Summit and Cascade in one of my standard beers (got one carbing as I write) and it is really enjoyable. However I use Summit for bittering (15% AA !) and Cascade for the later additions. Apparently some folks get odd flavours with using Summit late on (garlic?!) although I have not noticed any whatsoever.
The garlic comes from the grower leaving the hops on the bine too long and not from when they were added to the boil.

Latest posts

Back