Yorkshire Terrier

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheshire Cat

Landlord.
Reaction score
I lived in York for a year in 2003/4 and loved this beer. When I brewed kits I bought the York brewery's kit version which was very good. I would like to brew some for Christmas so does anyone have a recipe or failing that where I can still get the kit.
Thanks

Hi CC

I'd say York Brewery give about enough info on their website over there (link) don't they ...
YORKSHIRE TERRIER
ALC. 4.2% VOL.

TRADITIONAL BEST BITTER

Our original brew, Yorkshire Terrier is a multi-award winning single hop premium golden ale. Using only the flavours of UK grown Challenger hops and a dash of Crystal malt, expect a refreshing taste, where fruit and hops dominate the flavour and aroma with a clean, bitter finish.

Malt: Pale, Crystal
Hops: Challenger (UK)
IBU: 38
... something like, around 95% Pale Malt, 5% Crystal to around 1.042, then Challenger full boil to get you around 35 IBU and Challenger for 10 mins to get those last 3 IBU, should get you in the ballpark :?:

Cheers, PhilB

Something like this Phil
Best bitter
Special/Best/Premium Bitter

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 21.0
Total Grain (kg): 4.500
Total Hops (g): 56.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.044 (°P): 11.0
Final Gravity (FG): 1.011 (°P): 2.8
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.32 %
Colour (SRM): 11.9 (EBC): 23.4
Bitterness (IBU): 38.9 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 66
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
4.000 kg Pale Ale Malt (88.89%)
0.500 kg Crystal 80 (11.11%)

Hop Bill
----------------
40.0 g Challenger Pellet (6.1% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1.9 g/L)
16.0 g Challenger Pellet (6.1% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (0.8 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 20°C with Wyeast 1469 - West Yorkshire Ale

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Hi Rod
Yes, 200 or 250g of Crystal would probably suit better ... and, I think that would make a really nice bitter ... the only way to know if it's a Terrier or not, of course, would be to brew it and taste it athumb..

Hi CC
BTW, meant to say in my earlier post ... I agree, it's a lovely pint clapa

Cheers, PhilB

This has roused my interest, I do like Challenger hops and an English bitter.
Having never seen or tasted one and looking at the brewery description, I would guess gold may be a bit light, looks more towards pale amber so around 9-10 SRM is what I will be aiming for.

1606435425739.png

Have got 9.47 SRM, 38.45 IBU 4.38 ABV Looking forward to this one.athumb..

I did the brewery tour several years back and asked them about the provenance of their yeast. They were a bit cagy with the answer just saying it originally came from another Yorkshire brewery but as they had been using it for years it was now considered their own strain.

I'm pretty sure HTH1975 said it was originally the Scottish & Newcastle strain (but may have come via somewhere else), so although it was a house strain something like Brewlab F40 would be a close match.

I'm pretty sure HTH1975 said it was originally the Scottish & Newcastle strain (but may have come via somewhere else), so although it was a house strain something like Brewlab F40 would be a close match.

As I said the person giving the tour was a bit cagy which could be because they didn't know. Annoyingly in the tap room after the tour I got to chat with the head brewer and didn't ask him.
Seem to remember HTH1975 on Jim's in years gone by.

Looks to be very similar to Coniston Bluebird, although that is a lower abv from cask than Terrier . Can't go wrong with a pale bitter well hopped with challenger either way

I lived in York for a year in 2003/4 and loved this beer. When I brewed kits I bought the York brewery's kit version which was very good. I would like to brew some for Christmas so does anyone have a recipe or failing that where I can still get the kit.
Thanks
The kit is available at Hamstead Brewing at Great Barr. They must have a good connection with the company as I bought the kit there 17 years ago and upon checking they still stock it. I found that the hops produced an oily effect but I probably left them in too long though that's probably down to me following instructions without the knowledge to know when to deviate!

Back