You brewin supported? or, a brewing Ninja?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Druncan

Senior Moments
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We are in a total fookin building upheaval, and I sit with 3 FV's bubbling in my Sitting room. My partner just accepts this as a 'needs to be done' scenario,,,I just thought FFS,,, I am so lucky to be able to go through this upheaval and not get slapped as much as I should be. Lets hear it for the others who support our obsession, or

How do you get away with it all?

Let's share covert brewing tips? (not covert consuming brews, i'm fully qualified,,,)

My other half is totally ok with me making a mess and taking over the kitchen for a few hours. She generally likes the beer, particularly the stout, and wine is getting better.
We're both tight as fook, and new tax in Wales means more brewing.
Covert tip #1 when I keep a yeast in the fridge for weeks, I put it in a brown bottle and cap it, looks just like a beer....

My misses hardly drinks due to illness but is partial to bailys and gin so a small price to pay, to be honest I wouldn,t brew as often as I do she is always saying they weather is nice next few days get a brew on I brew outside and she takes an interest always asking questions, she was on about wine the other day I might just get a couple of djs next time I am in wilkos, its all good for me

I take over the kitchen when brewing/bottling but particularly organise my brew days as much as I can when Mrs terrym is going to be out, but if she is in the house she stays out of the kitchen. I give her plenty of warning about what I am intending to do, and if she needs the kitchen when I was planning to do beery things she gets priority. And that works for us. However there's stuff that she does which I accommodate. If you are in a long term relationship with someone as I have been for many years, its all about amicably balancing what you each do if you have separate interests, and being as understanding as you can given your different needs. And if its not balanced there's something wrong.

I always brew on a day when the better half goes to visit her mum every two weeks or so and it's always clean and tidy when she returns

Hopefully moving house soon and the new gaf has an attic that is doing eff all. I would love to turn it into a fourth "bedroom" for guests. I mean, a dirty old mattress on the floor is good enough for guests IMO.

I mash and boil in one of the old farm buildings but even so there's a lot of traipsing back and forth to the house. So I usually brew when Mrs Cwrw is out at work. She's used to me making a mess though and doesn't mind as long as I clean up after myself.
The day I bathed a sheep in the bath was a different matter though. All was going well til it shook itself like a dog.

My other half is totally ok with me making a mess and taking over the kitchen for a few hours. She generally likes the beer, particularly the stout, and wine is getting better.
We're both tight as fook, and new tax in Wales means more brewing.
Covert tip #1 when I keep a yeast in the fridge for weeks, I put it in a brown bottle and cap it, looks just like a beer....
What new tax is that?

What new tax is that?
Minimum pricing for alcohol. Looking at the bottles in Tescos - Hobgoblin has jumped up 10p to £1.35 and McEwans Champion has jumped to £1.90 and not available on multibuy. None of the other bottles seemed affected. I can't imagine why anyone would think an extra 10p per bottle would reduce anyone's consumption, but there you go...

My missus is quite tolerant of my brewing since we moved and I can brew in the garage. Previously she moaned about me using the kitchen, which was fair enough as I ended up staining the ceiling with the steam and I burned the worktop.

Now I've got my own space, she's happy enough for me to potter around for hours unless the baby is a bit fussy.

Minimum pricing for alcohol. Looking at the bottles in Tescos - Hobgoblin has jumped up 10p to £1.35 and McEwans Champion has jumped to £1.90 and not available on multibuy. None of the other bottles seemed affected. I can't imagine why anyone would think an extra 10p per bottle would reduce anyone's consumption, but there you go...
It's not a tax, HMRC don't get any more money from it. It has been observed to work in other countries. The price rise on very cheap ciders and lagers is much more than 10p.
Even the 10p may have an effect @gar says he is going to brew more beer because of it.

Hi Phil if you do turn the attic into a spare room inform your insurance company, there have been a lot of instances were they wont pay out should anything happen ( which I hope doesn't ) acheers.

Can pretty much so as I like in the garage as the Mrs doesn't like going in there. "that's where the spiders live"

She is pretty acomadting in general and let's me get on with it as long as it doesn't get in the way of family time.

I can pretty much do as I like as I brew in the garage but I have to tie it in with family time i.e grand kids, the only complaint I do get is sometimes the fermenters are in the kitchen depending on the time of the years but generally ok, oh sometimes if I am fermenting 3 vessels at a time I only have 2 of the quiet airlocks and one that plops and I have to make sure the kitchen door is closed

2EB0C8C2-88A1-4374-965A-853CCCC62552.jpeg
D8791FF9-30D7-4230-99AF-000DD7CE7384.jpeg
I made this mess and she didn’t even get angry:

Back