You brewin supported? or, a brewing Ninja?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I have said on another thread that the wife got me involved in all of this with a starter kit from which I progressed through to extract brewing and now small batch all grain. I think she regrets her decision but she is pretty good about it all. To be fair to me, I don't take the mick by progressively getting tidier in my brewing, brewing on a separate portable induction hob to avoid messing up ours, becoming more self sufficient (using an auto siphon so I can siphon and bottle on my own when I used to ask for her help) and mainly not brewing anywhere near as often as I would like. Having just brewed I probably won't do so again until June when we have some time off. All of my stuff is also in the garage out of the way so other than the new brew fridge which I now have to find a home for so she can't really moan about brewing clutter being everywhere either. All in all there's no animosity about the hobby either side so that's good.

On a side now, when I brewed last time, my toddler poked her nose into the kitchen, literally wrinkled her nose, gagged, and went "kitchen is smelly"- she obviously IS NOT a fan of the brewing. I am commissioning a DNA test to check if she is actually mine any day now....

Just had my DNA test results (96.9% British, 2.3% welsh Irish, 0.8% middle Eastern). What a shock I thought I was a Viking now I find I am a Persian Prince somewhere in there

"A new law introducing a minimum alcohol price in Wales has come into force.
As of Monday, retailers and any outlets serving alcohol must charge at least 50p a unit, meaning a typical bottle of wine costs no less than £4.69.
Health Minister Vaughan Gething said it would tackle "harmful and damaging" drinking of cheap, strong alcohol.
A report found alcohol sales in Scotland dropped after a similar system started there in May 2018, while sales rose slightly in Wales and England.
The Public Health Minimum Price for Alcohol Wales Act 2018 forces retailers to use a formula for working out minimum pricing."

as richardM corrected, not a new tax. but certainly feels like one.

no mainstream reports on the % rise in drug use in Scotland (tho drug related fatalities are up 26%) since the same was introduced...

i will certainly be stocking up on wine and spirits on future trips to England.

The Mrs got me into this hobby with a kit many years ago, and I am reminded continuously by my friends how lucky I am. She knows all my brewing friends (and likes most of them), and knows where I am and who I’m with when I’m not home. Most of my brewing is outdoors so I no longer occupy her space, though my stuff pretty much takes up most of the basement level of our house.

There was this recent faux pax when I boiled a wort on our glass top kitchen stove, the wort was from a local brewery that is running a competition with our club...14 members got a portion of raw wort to do with as we please, and the brewerY guys and their friends will judge our results in a little over a month. Anyway, I hate this stove because it’s impossible to control a boil. I tossed in some pellet hops when the boil was apparently more vigorous than was obvious to me. Had a MOAB (mother of all boilovers). All over the stove, down the front, into the drawers,... *****!

I immediately confessed and spent an hour cleaning it up.

The beer, I think it came out but time will tell. An American Saison with a ton of Amarillo dry hops, Belle Saison yeast, coreander seeds, and dry orange peel.

I mash and boil in one of the old farm buildings but even so there's a lot of traipsing back and forth to the house. So I usually brew when Mrs Cwrw is out at work. She's used to me making a mess though and doesn't mind as long as I clean up after myself.
The day I bathed a sheep in the bath was a different matter though. All was going well til it shook itself like a dog.
How do you get a sheep into a bath? A dog is bad enough.
I make out its a chore to have to brew, if my wife thinks I enjoy brewing then she would have something to say. Mowing the lawns, I make out I enjoy it so she will do it. I told her that for a man to avoid prostrate cancer he has to eat plenty of walnuts and have loads of sex. Now I think she's trying to murder me.(I'm eating the walnuts part)

You promise you won't shag it when it's clean. :laugh8:

Sorry couldn't resist.
I don't bathe sheep.asad.
Went to a national park in NSW its called Lake Mungo, the lake dried up 18,000 years ago. There was a sheep station there and it closed in the 60's, going into the shearing sheds you could still smell the lanolin from the sheep like they were there the day before. When we pulled up in the middle of the (dried) lake my wife got some towels out of the boot, I asked why she had brought towels she replied we are going for a swim aren't we.

I brew and bottle on days when the mrs is out, and tidy up so mainly ninja. There is an fv in the study or 2+ crates of beer in the spare bedroom conditioning from time to time that gives the game away.

on minimum pricing in wales....

erdinger 5.3% x 500ml x 50p =£1.32
life & death 6.5% x 330ml x 50p = £1.07
mr. p 9.2% x 330ml x 50p = £1.51

So cos I'm drinking premium beer no change for me - phew clapa

And I thought I made a mess. Geez, what happened there?

Bottle half filled with trub (thought it was a good idea to tip the fermenter to get one last bottle out - it was also a wheat beer so highly carbonated). Thought I’d get away with opening it over sink instead of out of the back door - I was wrong.

Last edited:
on minimum pricing in wales....

erdinger 5.3% x 500ml x 50p =£1.32
life & death 6.5% x 330ml x 50p = £1.07
mr. p 9.2% x 330ml x 50p = £1.51

So cos I'm drinking premium beer no change for me - phew clapa
Well as someone that lives in Scotland let me give you something to think about.
Cheap booze will have to raised to the new minimum

Standard larger or cider that used to be £1 a can. Now thinks, Wait a min we dont want to be priced the same as the cheap sh##, that devalues our product. We must raise our price 20%

Nicer drinks that used to be £1.20 a can/bottle are now in the same boat and want to up there price a little

There is diminishing returns on this as the higher the original price the less it will go up.

So I wouldn't be surprised if your usual drinks do go up a little bit

On the other hand.

When you get good offers you can get a nice bottle of something reasonably close to minimum unit price

I make out its a chore to have to brew, if my wife thinks I enjoy brewing then she would have something to say. Mowing the lawns, I make out I enjoy it so she will do it.

hahaha, clever, I love it; no wonder they call you Foxy!

Latest posts

Back