You tube

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MEB

Landlord.
Reaction score
Does anyone know how i can 'lift' or copy the music from a you tube vid that has been posted on you tube? Is it possible?

you can get a freeware piece of software that'll record sections of the screen (and audio) to an mpg/avi... cant remember the name but its on my work pc as i use it to record concept walkthroughs of 3D buildings in progress.

when i get to work tomorrow i'll dig it out ;)

Yes it is possible. Although as I remember you are on a PC, I can't give you the full inside track/software you will need, i can at least start the bowl rolling.

You will need to download the youtube file(which is a FLV). then you will need to bring it into a editing package so that you can seperate the audio from the video. You may need to re-encode the FLV file into a file that your editor can understand(like a AVI or WMV file).

Sorry I can't help more but I am sure a PC head will come along to help you along. or google, editing youtube videos on a PC.

P2

How do i download the you tube file?

If i could do that i'd be more than halfway there...

ta-da!

Clicky

that should be easier than faffing with codecs etc. migh not be as good quality cos it only records what you see, but i believe youtube compressed the video down to that small sized window anyways

Cool, thanks muchly BS. I've downloaded somthing but as my vision has gone i've no idea what it is. I'll look in the morning, if i wake...

It records the video well enough but it won't record any audio? More help needed...

that could be cos you've got your recording input set to mic instead of stereo mix.

right click on the speaker icon in your system tray and go "audio volume control" then click options, then properties.. switch it to the recording button and click ok then make sure "stereo mix" is selected and not mic.

that should do it.

oh and in camstudio, click options and make sure you've got "record audio from speakers" ticked ;)

oh, and another tip, go Options>video options and turn the quality up. will make a bigger file size but the quality will be much better. the quality is also dependant on which video codec you use, but i'll leave that to you to play with and decide on ;)

i just did a test recording using all the different codecs in the list at max quality.

i found the best one for quality and framerate was Microsoft Video 1. but for a 3 mins music vid the file size was about 1GB, so re-encoding to DivX or even better, the XviD codec.

this is such a pain in windows. in linux you'd simply run a script that downloads the youtube video and converts it directly with just a couple of console commands. there must be something similar for windows, but i haven't found it

I don't have a speaker icon thingy and when i go to control panel to tick it it gives me a message saying somthing about add/remove programs? I'm sure it used to be there????

And my calculator has suddenly disappeared too? Bloody cranky old computer :roll:

That's loads better that is. Cheers BS :cool:

EDIT: That's bloody perfect that is. The vid quality is better than you view on you tube too. Marvellous :cheers:

yeah i'm well impressed myself actually!

i wonder if this'll work in WINE on linux :hmm:

i used to use bittorrent and p2p to get music vids... but this is actually comparible to the quality of those straight off youtube! not to mention its well easy and quick to get too ;)

BrewStew said:
i used to use bittorrent and p2p to get music vids...

To me you just said 'sjdbafaucs f ja bfgrkb@' :lol:

:lol: :lol:

ok translated, i used to use an "alternative method" to get them, which was often alot slower and more of a pain to use :lol:

Aha, now your talking a language i understand. :cool:

Back