Young’s American IPA vs MYO American IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ned Jough

Reaction score
I have done the MYO kit and would rate it as excellent as well as being outstanding value when you get 2.5 kg malt and appx 50g dried hops for £15.00. I see the Young’s kit is well rated but around £24.00 for 3kg malt, 100g dried hops and a bag of sugar! Not done that one yet so has anyone done them both and care to share pros and cons. Basically is the Young’s kit that much better? Thanks.

I've got the Youngs AIPA bottle conditioning atm 10 litres kegged and the rest bottled on the 25/10/20. ive got the myo AIPA ready for bottling tomorrow, I was tempted to add extra hops but was advised to do as the kit suggested. I will let you know

Ned - did your MYO kit carbonate successfully?

My MYO AIPA was bottled 5 weeks ago, primed with one carbonation drop per bottle and kept in the warm utility room for 2 weeks. It's now been in my loft for 3 weeks and is a lovely beer. However, it's not as fizzy as I expected. The instructions said to add half a teaspoon of granulated sugar in each 500ml bottle. 1/2 teaspoon is approx 2g, which is approx what each of the carbonation drops weigh (160g bag with 80 drops in it = 2g each). There is a little bit of fizz on the tongue and the beer does fizz when stirred, but there is no head when poured or sign of life in the glass. Next time, I'm adding 2 drops...and there will be a next time!

Anyone else have carbonation issues with their MYO AIPA?

Libigage, I await your taste test with anticipation. Scott, I had no problems at all with carbonation. I use 500ml swing tops ( Hacker Pschorr Weiss) and I prime with half a very heaped teaspoon of brewing sugar. They all had a healthy pop when opened and a good head ( I can’t stand flat beer) after only a week in the bottle. I know most on the forum advocate a lap of the beads whilst seated cross legged chanting the the 2/2/2 mantra, but this beer really is ready to drink 3/4 weeks after starting. I really don’t believe this one improves with age, just drink it young. Only slight issue was my own fault. Didn’t put the dry hops in a muslin bag and they found their way into the bottle sediment. Schoolboy error.

Libigage, I await your taste test with anticipation. Scott, I had no problems at all with carbonation. I use 500ml swing tops ( Hacker Pschorr Weiss) and I prime with half a very heaped teaspoon of brewing sugar. They all had a healthy pop when opened and a good head ( I can’t stand flat beer) after only a week in the bottle. I know most on the forum advocate a lap of the beads whilst seated cross legged chanting the the 2/2/2 mantra, but this beer really is ready to drink 3/4 weeks after starting. I really don’t believe this one improves with age, just drink it young. Only slight issue was my own fault. Didn’t put the dry hops in a muslin bag and they found their way into the bottle sediment. Schoolboy error.
Hmmm, a heaped half teaspoon you say? Sounds like you were probably in the 3g range. I think I was just too short on sugars with my 2g (possibly 1.5 - 2g). Oh well, just need to drink the 40 bottles that I've got left then start another batch! 😁

IMG_20201228_161547.jpg
IMG_20201228_164129.jpg

Top picture is Youngs AIPA, bottom one is MYO AIPA.
Both have chill haze as they were clear before chilling, both carbed nicely. To be honest the MYO had to be poured very slowly and the head stayed to the bottom of the glass unlike the Youngs which had to be poured faster to get a head which didn't really last. More bitterness in the MYO which I don't mind, also more mouth feel than the Youngs, probably due to the muntons enhancer. More citrus/fruitiness in the Youngs which I like. So this is what I think. I found it difficult split them as they both have their pros and cons, if I had the choice to only do one of them again I would do the MYO but probably not use the supplied hops and use something more citrussy or double up on what's supplied. I might want it a bit thinner as well. The Youngs did well with 100g of hops so perhaps use something like theirs, it would be interesting to know what they are. Another reason is the lower ABV as I prefer a session beer so even the MYO is still a bit high. This is my honest opinion, hope I haven't upset anyone

Thanks for the report. I am currently drinking my way through another excellent batch of MYO and I have absolutely no complaints. I decided to buy a Youngs AIPA and give it a go. I now have 36 bottles that are currently conditioning so will be able to compare and contrast myself in a couple of weeks time. I don’t like them too strong either so I cut down on the added sugar. MYO is 4.6% and the Youngs is 5.4%.

Well I know it’s each to their own and I know a lot of people rave about the Youngs AIPA. I have now compared both and for what it’s worth, I think the MYO kit wins hands down. Better flavour, cleaner taste, but the clincher is the sediment stays in the bottom of the bottle. Unlike the Youngs which picks up easily and results in me tipping away at least 50ml in every bottle. MYO for me next time.

Well I know it’s each to their own and I know a lot of people rave about the Youngs AIPA. I have now compared both and for what it’s worth, I think the MYO kit wins hands down. Better flavour, cleaner taste, but the clincher is the sediment stays in the bottom of the bottle. Unlike the Youngs which picks up easily and results in me tipping away at least 50ml in every bottle. MYO for me next time.

I never had any sediment in Young's AIPA or similar ( MJ AIPA. )
I think that's down to brewing process rather than the make of kit any how.
After cold crashing my beer is usually crystal clear when it goes in the barrel.

Just thought I would update on this whilst munching on a thin slice of humble pie. Six weeks after bottling, this Youngs AIPA is drinking really well. Ok, I am still throwing away the last cloudy 50ml but the other 450ml are well worth it. Both brews are excellent in my opinion and I have no complaints really, but if you have patience and don’t mind waiting six weeks, maybe the Youngs AIPA might just edge it.

Not heard of MYO kits before, had to Google it, are they exclusive to The Range?

Made the Youngs kit a few times and it's consistently good.

Yes, pretty sure they are exclusive to The Range. Interestingly the wholesalers are Bevie Partners, the same people that distribute Mangrove Jack kits in the UK. The foil pouches and packaging is all remarkably similar to MJ’s and I do wonder if there is a link between the two.

Latest posts

Back