Young's 33 litre FV as a boiler?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kitoog

Reaction score
I made up a boiler from a young's 33 litre fermenter by fitting a kettle element and tap. It was fine during a test boil. But I am just asking is it safe to use as a boiler. It is made from food grade PP but does that mean its ok to use as a boiler. I use a HK-Plastics 60 L for big brews and works great.
cheers
Kitoog

I used a 33L fv for a boiler for ages with 2 elements - all was good.

cheers Wez, thats good to know. might be makin a few boilers for mates. making the hop strainer is gonna be fun :D lot of drilling. What do you think of cutting slots in the 15mm copper pipe for the hop strainer ? Would be a lot easier but would bits of hops get through?
cheers
derek

Derek

You may be able to slot it - but the hop strainers I seen and used are drilled, not sure of the reason tho mate

I use a 30l FV as my boiler with twin elements and have no problem at all.

I drilled my hop strainer, a handy tip when doing this was to use a small nail and hammer to mark out where I was going to drill - this slightly flattened the tube at these points which stopped the drill bit slipping - still took ages mind, but works well..

Paul

I too used to use a 33L fv as a boiler, here it is
extractbrew006.jpg

It's a HLT now and has never given me any problems :grin:

I made my hop strainer for it from this, its a 22mm "flexible" copper pipe from Wickes
Hopstrainer.jpg

I cut slots into it at 10mm intervals 10mm deep, works wonderfully :party:

Great to know the boiler works well fot ye lads. Gonna get a lend of a bench drill off a friend and drill out some hop strainers with that. Should work well if I can centre the pipe and just move it along for each hole. I used a cordless drill to do my own, but it was a tedious task :D .

tubby_shaw said:
I made my hop strainer for it from this, its a 22mm "flexible" copper pipe from Wickes
Hopstrainer.jpg

Why can't I find one of these anywhere, please?

Yes they can be used as boilers I used one to make a HLT with a couple of elements from cheap tesco kettles :thumb:

Points at all the apple cartons ...... you getting ready for some turbo cider shenanagens... :twisted:

damfoose said:
Points at all the apple cartons ...... you getting ready for some turbo cider shenanagens... :twisted:
Never without some TC :drink:

Get hold of some WLP 775 yeast, ferment some apple juice and you'll never drink commercial cider again :thumb:

tubby_shaw said:
I too used to use a 33L fv as a boiler, here it is
extractbrew006.jpg

It's a HLT now and has never given me any problems :grin:

Hopstrainer.jpg

Cant find these anywhere guys...?

SouthSide said:
tubby_shaw said:
Cant find these anywhere guys...?

B&Q definately do them, I got one last week for a separate project.

Wickes and Homebase too.

Back