Young's American IPA advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cptn_Needa

Chookity-pok
Reaction score
I've been brewing for quite a few years and took the plunge in to all grain last summer. Having found myself short of time for a new day in December I opted to go for a quick kit to see me through and went for Young's American IPA.

It's been 10 days in the FV today and it's cloudy like orange juice (looks like a NEIPA actually) and tastes a little fizzy (sort of sherbet fizzy) and fruity.
SG is 1.016 down from 1.055 OG having dropped 6 points since day four where SG was 1.022. Target is 1.008.

Am I looking at my first infection?
Anything that can/should be done?

Couple other points for background.
  • I used the supplied yeast which was 20g of unbranded West Coast. Previously they supplied 6g which was never enough to get down to target FG so I tended to use US-05 instead but I decided on the supplied yeast as the pack was considerably bigger.
  • I fermented at 20c for the first four days then raised to 23c.
  • The sample taken after four days was the same colour and consistency last today.
  • I've done this kit four times over the last few years and have never had it look like this at any stage.
Any assistance or advice would be most welcome

I thought 2 weeks was the going rate for fermentation?

Would it be worth my while pitching some US-05 in there to see things along?

At this rate I’m going to be beerless by the end of Jan.

I just bottled mine after 6 weeks! Bubbling completely stopped after the first week and didn’t move for another 5 days, although I think there may be a very slight leak around the fermenter lid so that perhaps it was moving ever so slowly. Stirring gently got it going again but very slowly. Temperature was between 18.2 and 19.5 for all but the first few days (at circa 22).
I was pleased to find that it tasted good when I bottled it!
It finished up at 1.006/7 having started at 1.052.

I just bottled mine after 6 weeks! Bubbling completely stopped after the first week and didn’t move for another 5 days, although I think there may be a very slight leak around the fermenter lid so that perhaps it was moving ever so slowly. Stirring gently got it going again but very slowly. Temperature was between 18.2 and 19.5 for all but the first few days (at circa 22).
I was pleased to find that it tasted good when I bottled it!
It finished up at 1.006/7 having started at 1.052.
6 weeks! That's some slow going. Though might in part be down to the temp. I've got mine at 23.
Glad it tasted good. I've always been impressed with this kit when I've done it so fingers crossed for this effort.

Latest posts

Back