Young's American IPA rocket!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelper

Old Salt
Reaction score
I thought I'd try my new aquarium heater and Inkbird thermostat with my kit beer.

I pitched at 25C and set the Inkbird to 24C. It started bubbling within one hour! The two-part airlock shot off during the night and foam is coming out of the bit that's left.

My Tilt tells me that it was a bit warm overnight (25C) so I set the Inkbird to 23.5. I'd forgotten that the beer in the FV will be warmer than the waterbath while it's busy fermenting.

The OG was 1.055 (Tilt) but dropped to 1.020 within 24 hours!

The problem with most cock-ups is that the brew:
  1. Tastes so bad that you wish you had never started.
  2. Tastes so good that you will try to replicate the system that you used.
Unfortunately, it normally comes out as 2. and you then find that you can't replicate it!

Enjoy!

Youngs kit has less LME and a whole kilo of brewing sugar. I don't suppose that's better or worse than the two-can kits?

I tend to ferment most of my stuff at 20°C, in a brew fridge with the probe taped to the side of the bucket with some bubble wrap over to insulate so it should be tracking the actual wort temperature fairly closely. The times I've made AIPA it's taken a couple of days to get going and after that I don't tend to bother looking at it until 2 weeks later. It always goes quite low maybe even as far as 1.007. There are folk on here who say they've had it going for nearly 3 weeks before the gravity has settled.

24°C is a bit high in my opinion but not outside of the usable temperature range for the yeast. Would explain why yours has done its thing a lot quicker.

It's fluctuating between 22 and 23 according to the Tilt. The Inkbird's probe is in the water bath and is close to 23 normally. Youngs say 20 to 24 for fermenting.

Youngs kit has less LME and a whole kilo of brewing sugar. I don't suppose that's better or worse than the two-can kits?
I thought the AIPA kit came with 3kg LME and 1 kg dextrose, which puts it on par with many other premium kits for LME.
I guess the the dextrose is there to give the finished product some dryness and to bump up the ABV.
And I agree with @Graz. If you ferment this kit at the higher end of its temperature range it will ferment out a lot quicker. But the yeast appears to be actually very temperature sensitive. Ferment at 19*C (as I did) it can take 20 days or so, ferment at 23/24*C and its pretty much done in 4 days. And that explains why there is a big variation in reported ferment times .

It will be interesting to see what happens. It's still bubbling at the airlock. I might transfer it to another FV before I add the hops as it is clearing already and I know hops normally make it fizz up. I'm going to hop on day 12 if SG has been steady for a few days.

Back