Youngs American IPA

Discussion in 'Beer Kit Brewing Discussion.' started by howyoubrewin, Apr 2, 2014.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. Apr 2, 2014 #1

howyoubrewin

howyoubrewin

howyoubrewin

Received a promo email from home brew online re the youngs american IPA and american cream ale. Has anyone tried either of these kits? A brief description on the e mail said that the IPA is in the style of goose island. I fancy trying on of these kits but at 30 quid after delivery i would like some opinions on them first.

2. Apr 2, 2014 #2

ian808

ian808

ian808

I have picked one of these up but not started it yet. Bloke in lhbs recomended it. He had just got them in but had got a sample and said it was really good. Will let you know how good in a few months

3. Apr 2, 2014 #3

howyoubrewin

howyoubrewin

howyoubrewin

Great,let me know how it turns out. Cheers

4. Apr 3, 2014 #4

bluebear1000

bluebear1000

bluebear1000

I just started this kit today seems like a good quality kit. on a par with the bulldog evil dog i.p.a kit I have brewed previously. I have short brewed it to 21 litres and have a starting o.g of 1065 so should be around the 7% mark if I can get it down to 1010

BOOM71 likes this.
  5. Apr 3, 2014 #5

Brew Dawg

Brew Dawg

Brew Dawg

6. Apr 3, 2014 #6

mark11182

mark11182

mark11182

Just got the APA on at the minute, and the Amber ale after I've finished the St. Peter's IPA. The 6.5% put me off slightly, as I do like to make my brews session able. But after realising you add sugar included to bump the ABV up, I may just add half of it or something? The amount of hops included is awesome! (100g in the amber ale!) looking forward to having all 3

7. Apr 3, 2014 #7

howyoubrewin

howyoubrewin

howyoubrewin

I went for it today and purchased the american IPA. Fellow that owns the store said he was given a sample and it is akin to the sierra nevada. I am even more excited at the hop additions, chinook,centennial and simcoe..get in!! This was a last minute purchase as my lhbs didn't have ingredients for my brewdog punk ipa clone but this kit sounds pretty close to that anyway.
    @ brew dawg,how you finding the four finger jack? It's a kit thats high on my wish list. Will watch with interest as the american ipa reviews roll in. Cheers!

8. Apr 3, 2014 #8

Brew Dawg

Brew Dawg

Brew Dawg

It's been in the bottle for just over 5 weeks now, had samples at 3 weeks and 4 weeks and it was still cloudy... a lot of yeast sediment in the bottle as it was a big bag with the kit (25g!)

Initially its quite fruity, grapefruit and citrusy notes and very, very smooth... lacks the bitterness but i'm hoping the longer I leave it the better it will mature... difference between 3 week and 4 week sample was huge so this weekend should be great!

I would let it ferment for at least 18 days and then move to secondary for a week with hop tea bags for it to clear and be less cloudy.

I try leave my brews in the bottle for a month before any mass consumption! (easier said than done!)

9. Apr 3, 2014 #9

howyoubrewin

howyoubrewin

howyoubrewin

sounds awesome! That grapefruit/fruity hop profile is exactly what i like in my beers so it sounds like a beer i would enjoy. Let us know how week 5 tasting goes.

10. Apr 8, 2014 #10

tobiasbeecher

tobiasbeecher

tobiasbeecher

IPA King

I have just ordered this, will pitch it this weekend and keep you all posted.

11. Apr 11, 2014 #11

tobiasbeecher

tobiasbeecher

tobiasbeecher

IPA King

If anyone is interested, this kit contains 20g yeast and 100g of assorted hop pellets sealed in 1 convenient package. It also comes with priming sugar in its own bag, pitching sugar in its own bag and finally 3kg of malt extract, again in a sealed plastic bag. The instructions look decent too. This kit appears more premium than the evil dog i have just brewed. I will be pitching it tomorrow morning.

12. Apr 11, 2014 #12

Strongarm

Strongarm

Strongarm

Brewing on a wing and a prayer

Are the 100gr of hop pellets purely for dry hopping?

13. Apr 11, 2014 #13

GavH

GavH

GavH

My LHBS recommends fermenting at 16-18C: no more, no less. I can't fathom if this ruly necessary or just his way of promoting the sale of brew belts as we near summer?! Any thoughts?

14. Apr 12, 2014 #14

tobiasbeecher

tobiasbeecher

tobiasbeecher

IPA King

Yes, the hops are for dry hopping. The instructions state that the hop pellets come in a bag, so you just chuck them into FV when you fancy.

It will remain at 20-21 degrees for the next 3 weeks where I will then bottle prime and leave for a further 3 weeks. I will keep you posted, I have yet to take OG reading too.

15. Apr 12, 2014 #15

tobiasbeecher

tobiasbeecher

tobiasbeecher

IPA King

1.056 is the OG, anticipating FG of 1.004 giving 6.8% (rather than the claimed 6.5%) but we will see!

16. Apr 12, 2014 #16

roosterjones

roosterjones

roosterjones

Picked up 1 of these today...gotta find a spare few hours to knock it out now.

17. Apr 16, 2014 #17

roosterjones

roosterjones

roosterjones

Getting this on the go today...any advice on fermenting temp. I'm able to keep brews between 17c-19c, but will struggle to get the 20c-24c it says in the instructions.
    I guess I'll just have to wait a little longer for it to be ready?
    OG was 1055, so with expected FG of 1007, looking at 6.4%

18. Apr 21, 2014 #18

pms67

pms67

pms67

Senior Member Supporting Member

Hi mate, I struggled with constant temps for the longest time until I bought a 25w aquarium heater from amazon for £7.50, best money I've spent in a while.
    I simply drilled a hole (20mm) and used a white nylon/cable stuffing gland to seal cable.
    My fv now just sits in the shed with a foil blanket round it.
    Only problem is summers coming !!! Have to stock up and get brewing.
    Cheers

19. Apr 21, 2014 #19

howyoubrewin

howyoubrewin

howyoubrewin

Hi fellas/gals, after 13 days in the fermenter and 7 days in the bottle I just had to crack a bottle of this brew open and ooooh yeah baby the hop aroma hits you in the coupon the minute you pop the cap. Very very akin to a brewdog IPA in the aroma department. Strong, fruity, citrusy aroma. Nice clean white 1 finger head with lacing all the way to the bottom of the glass. Rich golden in colour,slightly darker than i expected and has cleared beautifully. Taste wise it is just friggin awesome!! Malty, great body and a nice hoppy kick that leaves a nice bitter kick in the after taste. All this from a week in the bottle tells me that after a month or so this will be a very impressive beer! Big thumbs up!

roosterjones and BeardedMag like this.
  20. Apr 22, 2014 #20

tobiasbeecher

tobiasbeecher

tobiasbeecher

IPA King

Only 13 days in primary, then what was your FG reading? Seems a bit early! I'll leave mine in primary for appx 18-20 days, if its anything like my last kit.