Youngs American IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I opened a bottle after one week and it tasted very nice indeed.

Terrym, interesting comments regarding keeping in the bottle as I've been trying to hold off opening more!

Time for a newb question. I have some of my brew in a pressure barrel. Does opening the tap early to taste it affect the secondary fermentation process at all? Should I just leave well enough alone until its been fermenting minimum two weeks?

Question 2: if I want to gift some beer to a friend can I pour from pressure barrel into a bottle?

I opened a bottle after one week and it tasted very nice indeed.

Terrym, interesting comments regarding keeping in the bottle as I've been trying to hold off opening more!

Time for a newb question. I have some of my brew in a pressure barrel. Does opening the tap early to taste it affect the secondary fermentation process at all? Should I just leave well enough alone until its been fermenting minimum two weeks?

Question 2: if I want to gift some beer to a friend can I pour from pressure barrel into a bottle?

If you draw off an early sample of beer to test that a PB is leakproof, or to simply taste it should not affect the carbing process. If the PB is in warm place say about 20*C it should be carbed up in one week, two at the most. And in theory you are then ready to go provided the beer is ready to drink
If you draw off beer via the tap to fill a bottle you will find it not as carbonated as in the PB, even if you seal the bottle immediately. I suggest you try it first before you pass a bottle on to your friend.

If you draw off an early sample of beer to test that a PB is leakproof, or to simply taste it should not affect the carbing process. If the PB is in warm place say about 20*C it should be carbed up in one week, two at the most. And in theory you are then ready to go provided the beer is ready to drink
If you draw off beer via the tap to fill a bottle you will find it not as carbonated as in the PB, even if you seal the bottle immediately. I suggest you try it first before you pass a bottle on to your friend.
It'll be two weeks in the barrel tomorrow so I do believe it's time for a sample! Good idea re: experimenting with transferring keg to bottle myself first. I figure in theory it's no different than transferring from keg to growler; as long as the recipient drinks within a couple of days within receiving it.

Many many thanks again for your advice.

My experience with this beer is, if it's carbed, clear and you like it, it's ready to drink. It will not really improve with keeping, and in fact if kept for a long time loses the impact of the dry hop.

Was thinking the same, will taste test again in 1 week.

I've made this kit twice now, and that will be my last. The sediment in the bottles is so offputting, it just doesn't compact down like the Trawebeir does.
Great beer, but even very careful bottle pour brings big clumps up off the bottom and cloudy pints - yak.

I've made this kit twice now, and that will be my last. The sediment in the bottles is so offputting, it just doesn't compact down like the Trawebeir does.
Great beer, but even very careful bottle pour brings big clumps up off the bottom and cloudy pints - yak.
I agree with the yeast clouding up. Have you though of using one of your PBs, although you might have to accept a lower carbonation than the style norms.

I’ve had this in the FV @ 21• for 16 days now and it’s still chugging away, currently @ 10.008. I’m not sure how much lower it can go but I don’t want to dry hop whilst there is still a lot of CO2 coming off it.

I’ve had this in the FV @ 21• for 16 days now and it’s still chugging away, currently @ 10.008. I’m not sure how much lower it can go but I don’t want to dry hop whilst there is still a lot of CO2 coming off it.
If its still chugging away, you just have to leave it until its finished. I suggest you leave it alone for another 2/3 days and then have another look and take an SG reading. People on here have reported an FG of 1.006 or even lower so you may have some way to go, the last few points always seem to take the longest. :nod:
Remember 'Patience is the Friend of the Homebrewer'

I agree with the yeast clouding up. Have you though of using one of your PBs, although you might have to accept a lower carbonation than the style norms.
PB? Pressure barrel?

Don't have one, i carb using sugar then bottle, just the simple way.

Just added hops to my American IPA , had it in primary for 2 weeks and have a SG reading of 1.009 at the moment. It smells great !!! 1 thing I should add - with this kit I didn't have any krausen forming but the SG readings seem ok

Bottled mine yesterday evening. I had loads of krausen until about day 13. Then added the hops for 3 days. Smelled great last night and tasted amazing. Just can't handle the waiting. Good luck with it!

Attachments

• 35 Bottles of AIPA.jpg
    35 Bottles of AIPA.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 136
  • AIPA after bottling..jpg
    AIPA after bottling..jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 159
Just had my second to last bottled about a year ago. Tastes great! Only criticism is...cold crash *I know this now.....be more careful siphoning...because due to the amount of priming sugar that comes with the kit...you get a fizzy beer which makes a larger yeast deposit move a bit and also creates a big head! Otherwise if I ever get short of time you do ag I wouldn't hesitate to do this again!

Got one of these on the go now, first time with this kit and really looking forward to it for the summer. Definitely be cold crashing this one due to the traumas I've had recently trying to siphon off beers with big dry hop additions :D

I did cold crash this for 24 hours when i did it, when it came to enjoy it there was minimal sediment in the bottle.

I'm drinking this now and it's superb, it's my favorite kit to date by far and I am already planning to redo it straight away as I don't want to run out of it.

I cold crashed it also for 24 hours down to 0.5ºc before racking and with careful pouring it produces a really nice clear drink. It's exceptionally hoppy, (I dry hopped late) much more hoppy than Punk (after doing a side by side compassion) , personally I would say it's closer to Jack Hammer.

Got in tonight after a long week at work (which followed a heavy weekend in Barcelona) and opened an AIPA which I’d put in the fridge earlier in the week.

Wow! This is now a beautiful beer. Maybe it’s still not clear (guess it won’t ever be now), but it’s fantastic. Beautiful golden colour, really nice bitter taste and a lovely, strong hop finish. I think this might have overtaken Cwtch as my favourite kit beer but it’s certainly one I will do again. It will be interesting to compare it with the APA, which is currently conditioning.

And the AIPA continues to improve! Had a couple tonight having been in the office all day due to a heavy workload and it is superb. I really didn’t realise it would be possible to produce a beer this good from a kit.

It has cleared a bit since my last post, is a beautiful golden colour and just tastes superb. Beautifully hoppy with a slightly bitter finish. It’s soooo good.

My APA is conditioning but I really think I’m going to get another AIPA within the next couple of weeks because I’m not sure I’ll find another kit to compare.

I had a look at mine two weeks in and it was still going strong, lots of froth, so thought I'd give it another week. Checked it again last night and it had all died down so time to dry hop. Thought I'd take a gravity sample, it's down to about 1.004 :shock:, never had a beer go that low and yes I did check my hydrometer afterwards! Tastes ok so I'm sure it's fine. Most odd though, must be some pretty special yeast they supply with it. Going to have to be careful with this one I think, few cold bottles whilst doing the summer BBQ and before I know it I'll be fighting to stay upright :D

Back