Youngs American IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got a second batch of this on the go now. Last time I dry hopped in a bag, going to lob them in this time and hope we have a cold night :laugh8:

One week in and we've dropped to 1.022, so far so good! No airlock activity though, but as long as it's doing something it's all good.

I had a test bottle last night after a 2 week secondary. Taste absolutely knock out, still cloudy but wow. My only criticism is that although it’s carbonated it poured with hardly any head.

Well, 3 and a half weeks in and am having a trial bottle (having only bottled on Saturday).

It's a little harsh as expected given it's only had 4 days conditioning :laugh8:. But all the signs are pointing to this being glorious given another week or two athumb..

Ordered this kit after reading the rave reviews here. Had a disappointing time with my last kit which was a Cwytch. Tasted great in the fermenter but out of the bottle it is unbelievably bitter and not very happy.

Hopefully will have more success with the Youngs!

Ordered this kit after reading the rave reviews here. Had a disappointing time with my last kit which was a Cwytch. Tasted great in the fermenter but out of the bottle it is unbelievably bitter and not very happy.

Hopefully will have more success with the Youngs!

That's odd. The Cwtch kit is very good. The AIPA is much more to my taste simply because I like lighter, hoppy beers, but I still really enjoyed the Cwtch. It sounds to me as if something went wrong somewhere.

Wow. Just wow. Brewed this, it's been carbing for 5 days and just had a cheeky sample.

This is by far the best beer I have brewed, including festival razorback.

This just slides down with a lovely grapefruit nose and finish. Absolutely no bitterness for me.

If you are looking at this page to see if it's worth doing. Stop reading and just go and buy this.

Cheers

Jim

Still a touch cloudy. But I think I might have another.

Attachments

• 15433515471762592859954661020551.jpg
    15433515471762592859954661020551.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 89
That's odd. The Cwtch kit is very good. The AIPA is much more to my taste simply because I like lighter, hoppy beers, but I still really enjoyed the Cwtch. It sounds to me as if something went wrong somewhere.

That Cwtch is improving with time. It's two months since it was started. Wouldn't say amazing yet though.

I've got one of the Youngs American IPAs on now at 22C. Hoping for a good one.

Hello

Having a go at a youngs apa after some success with golden festival, cwtch, mangrove Jack simcoe ipa

I have had it in in FV for 17 days, I was looking to add the hops to it tomorrow have 3 days at 22 degrees and then cold crash it for 2 days in the garage. Then bottle on Sunday. I know there is priming sugar with it but normally I would just use carbonation tablets in bottles . Any advice should I use the provided sugar or stick with carbonating tablets.

Any advice would appreciated as always.

I can't vouch for the tablets I'm afraid. If you've got a spare fv lying around I prefer adding the sugar to some cooled boiled spring water, dissolving and then racking the beer into that. Also gives you a chance to filter the debris so two birds with one stone!

@HappyVernon
Carbonation drops are an expensive way of adding priming sugar to your beer. I suggest you use the brewing sugar provided in your kit, and save the carbonation drops for another brew . Personally I think drops are an expensive way of carbing your beer.
And as an alternate to using sugar solutions you could simply dose the bottles with the sugar solids provided.
If you want to get a good measure of how much of the sugar provided in your kit you should use for priming , simply weigh it then divide that by 22. That will give the weight required per litre or thereabouts. Then divide by 4.5 and that is the number of teaspoon measures you should add to each litre of your beer (working on 4.5g per teaspoon). I add sugar to my bottles using a teaspoon and funnel, and that has worked for me for many years.

Mines pretty much ready now. 3 weeks in the FV. 11 days bottled in warm and a week in the outbuilding and it's bloody lovely!

Funnily enough though given my last post it's a little flat :laugh8:. Possibly brought it out a tad early, but will see what the others are like. Not enough to be an issue mind.

Mine's day 2 in the fermenter and a hot pongy egg smell from the bucket... It's rank!

What a fabulous start to the weekend. Opened the first bottle of my AIPA and it’s an absolute disaster. The really strange thing is that it’s black - like Guinness. No carbonation, either and tastes awful.

I seem to remember someone else posting something similar recently and Young’s agreed that there must have been a mix up at the factory. If it was just foul tasting I could understand it - infection etc., but black?

40 bottles now ready to go down the sink. What a complete waste of time and effort.

What a fabulous start to the weekend. Opened the first bottle of my AIPA and it’s an absolute disaster. The really strange thing is that it’s black - like Guinness. No carbonation, either and tastes awful.

I seem to remember someone else posting something similar recently and Young’s agreed that there must have been a mix up at the factory. If it was just foul tasting I could understand it - infection etc., but black?

40 bottles now ready to go down the sink. What a complete waste of time and effort.
If its any consolation my experience of dealing with Youngs customer service was positive, so before you bin it take some photos ready for when you speak with them.

If its any consolation my experience of dealing with Youngs customer service was positive, so before you bin it take some photos ready for when you speak with them.

Thank you! I’m trying not to let it ruin my Friday evening. 40 pints though!

I put one on ~3 weeks ago, purchased through Amazon. Dry hopped it last night, looks fine, smells fine, same as the last one I did few months back. Due to keg it on Monday. Was it black when you chucked the yeast in? Or has it turned black over time?

I put one on ~3 weeks ago, purchased through Amazon. Dry hopped it last night, looks fine, smells fine, same as the last one I did few months back. Due to keg it on Monday. Was it black when you chucked the yeast in? Or has it turned black over time?

To be honest, it’s difficult to tell once the beer’s in the FV. I’ll measure the OG, but that’s about it. I certainly wasn’t aware of any ‘off’ smells. I’m so disappointed as I sit here. 9 weeks of primary and secondary fermentation, cold conditioning and then back to room temperature, for nothing.

I’ve emailed Young’s.

Latest posts

Back