Youngs American IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
should i just bight the bullet and brew it short to 15L and not add the sugar.
The Brewers Friend calculator here in its basic setting ( I suggest you have a play to find out how to use it)
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/calculator
says that 3kg LME + 600g Dextrose in 23 litres will give just over 5% ABV, and 3kg LME in 15 litres will give just over 6%ABV. However the kit yeast is quite aggressive and will dry the beer out more than that probably by another 0.5% ABV. So my view is that 3kg LME in 15 litres equates to about ABV 6.5%+ .
But be aware that brewing significantly short will concentrate the bitterness by a factor of 23/15.
Why not try to split the kit and brew two 11.5 litres batches if your equipment limits you to 15 litres, or better still buy a 25 litre FV and brew the kit as it is intended to be done?

Hi all,

Started this kit yesterday. Brewed a little short. Ive some left over amarillo and cascade hops from 2017 that have been tucked away in the freezer and was thinking of adding them to the hops in the kit. I think the flavours will go, but a little unsure if the hops will be usable given that they are pretty old?

I agree. It's the best kit I've done by far and I'm really not sure how you would improve it. I can understand pimping cheaper kits, but the AIPA is a premium kit and I personally wouldn't feel the need to mess around with it. It's a wonderful pint.

Thanks for the advice. I'll keep it as per the instructions and the hops stay in the freezer. acheers.

Has anyone tried to tone down the alcohol percentage on this kit at all? Love the taste of it but 6.5% is a bit strong? Any idea what effect using half of the sugar would have? Tempted to try it but involves a lot of waiting and a lot of wasted beer if it tastes like ****.

Brew it a little longer, say to 24l. Before you add any extra sugar, check your gravity, then use your alcohol converter to work out what your OG needs to be to get to your required abv. I get mine to about 1.050, as this ferments down to about 1.008 I know this gives me an abv of about 5.5%. 1.046 will give you around 5%.

Ken

All good advice, I've just brewed a Range MYO Amercan IPA & just taste one a little early, (a little longer somewhere cool) It certainly has a strong taste, I forgot to take og when i started it, but 6.5 would taste about right! What I do with string brews is just have 2! Saves me getting up in the nigjt for the loo! Lol

Received a promo email from home brew online re the youngs american IPA and american cream ale. Has anyone tried either of these kits? A brief description on the e mail said that the IPA is in the style of goose island. I fancy trying on of these kits but at 30 quid after delivery i would like some opinions on them first.
I’ll be kegging this tomorrow night. Smells amazing. I’ll let you know.

1. Hi All my first post here, and wish I had found this thread slightly earlier! I'm doing this Youngs AIPA kit and it got off to a great start. I brewed it a little longer, about 24l and as said it started at 1.050. Today is day 10 and the gravity had reached 1.010 which is when the instructions say to add the hops, so I did! I think it is probably a bit early as everyone is saying this kit takes 3 week to ferment. Will it end up being super hoppy if the hops stay in for that long or does the opposite happen and they lose their fragrance?

1. Hi All my first post here, and wish I had found this thread slightly earlier! I'm doing this Youngs AIPA kit and it got off to a great start. I brewed it a little longer, about 24l and as said it started at 1.050. Today is day 10 and the gravity had reached 1.010 which is when the instructions say to add the hops, so I did! I think it is probably a bit early as everyone is saying this kit takes 3 week to ferment. Will it end up being super hoppy if the hops stay in for that long or does the opposite happen and they lose their fragrance?
All good. Ive done three of these and they always finish really quick. I add hops after about 7-9 days as long as gravity is good. My latest one i swapped out half the hops for 25g of Azakka hops and left in for about 5 days. It was drinkable after 2 weeks carbonating then a week in garage. Nicely bitter and hoppy.

Anybody have any recommendations wether to pressure barrel king keg top tap or bottle the Young’s American ipa
I have one fv with this in and one with Cwtch in and insure which to bottle and which to pb, any recommendations would be greatly received

Anybody have any recommendations wether to pressure barrel king keg top tap or bottle the Young’s American ipa
I have one fv with this in and one with Cwtch in and insure which to bottle and which to pb, any recommendations would be greatly received

Think most folk will tell you that pressure barrel will struggle to cope with typical carbonation level of AIPA - basically they are more suited for bitters, milds, stouts etc. The requisite fizziness more easily achieved in bottles. That said I have not done Cwtch so not sure if that also needs to be more highly carbed.

Think most folk will tell you that pressure barrel will struggle to cope with typical carbonation level of AIPA - basically they are more suited for bitters, milds, stouts etc. The requisite fizziness more easily achieved in bottles. That said I have not done Cwtch so not sure if that also needs to be more highly carbed.
Thanks Horners
I’ve had the juicy ipa out of pressure barrel recently albeit a friends and carbonation was decent
But may bottle now

I would say bottle IPA and barrel cwtch. The IPA comes with a lot of carbonation sugar and was great as a fizzy brew. I've had draft cwtch and that was great.

Bit of advise wanted. Started this kit On Friday, pitched at 21°, SG 1054, set the Inkbird connected to a brew pad to 20° and left. Saturday and Sunday steady bubbling every few seconds. Woke up Monday and the probe has fell off the side of the FV! Temperature of the brew due to the brew pad staying on is now 26° and the airlock is full of brown liquid. Its spilled over onto the lid. Does this mean it's ruined? Should I take the airlock off and clean it, putting fresh water into it, or is it best left alone?

Back