Youngs American Oaked Rum Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started this at the begining of December 22. OG 1064.
Two weeks fermenting, tranferred and bottled with one carb drop, FG 1012.
Two weeks for secondary then put out to shed for condition January 23.
First bottle tasted begining March 23 after approx 7 weeks conditioning.
Carbonation - Not overly, probably need more than one drop.
Head / Retention - See above.
Mouth Feel - Watery teeth.
Taste - Bowfin (a Scottish word, onomatopoeic)
Verdict - Not for me.
Future - A battle of wills. Will it improve enough to become drinkable? Will it become drain cleaner?

I did this one a year or more ago.
Always felt as if I'd drunk a pint of rum after one.
Couldn't find anyone who liked it, even a rum-drinking friend.
The only beer of the 36 brews I've done so far that went down the sink.

I did this one a year or more ago.
Always felt as if I'd drunk a pint of rum after one.
Couldn't find anyone who liked it, even a rum-drinking friend.
The only beer of the 36 brews I've done so far that went down the sink.

I think this may follow suit. I've also got a Belgian Spiced Double I started early October for Xmas that wasn't too clever when I tried it last which might make the same trip.

I've made this one twice. First batch, initial impression not good. A kinda medicinal taste. However, after 3 to 4 months conditioning it was transformed. So I made it again. Definitely improves with age.

I've made this one twice. First batch, initial impression not good. A kinda medicinal taste. However, after 3 to 4 months conditioning it was transformed. So I made it again. Definitely improves with age.
Ok thanks, I'll let it lie for another couple of months and see if it gets any better.

Nice one. Love that it has the sugar and everything as well. Even separate priming sugar lol

Normally I get a can and a yeast sachet one, so this is something of a novelty.
It's quite a pricey kit though. Hopefully you enjoy it. I didn't like it at all when I tied it after around 8 weeks conditioning and it was destined for the sink until a post by Ale House Rock convinced me to give it a stay of execution. I'll give it until the end of April then try it again.

Latest posts

Back