Youngs APA kit question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex.mc

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, my first dumb question! I'm sure there'll be more......

I bought a bunch of kit and have got my APA in the fermenter. All went pretty well, although I may have over-volumed a little, but I'll be happy if it's drinkable even if the ABV is a little lower than expected.

A few days back the fermentation appeared to stop after about 12 days, no bubbles. I carefully prised the lid and carefully scattered in the Hop pellets for the Dry hopping and replaced the lid, expecting to have 4-5 days before transferring into the PB.
However I've noticed that the bubbler is moving again, slowly, pretty slowly actually, but definitely moving.

What's causing that? Is there something in the hops which has activated the yeast again?
Am I okay to ignore the very slow ferment, and go ahead with PB'ing?

I think this is probably just c02 coming out of suspension after you added the hops. What I would advise is not to use the airlock as a sign of active fermentation, and to make friends with your hydrometer :cheers3:

A steady hydrometer reading 24 hours apart is the best way to confirm it has really stopped, don’t rely on the airlock.

Latest posts

Back