Young's definitive Cabernet Sauvignon review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stesmi

Regular.
Reaction score
Have to say this is my 1st wine kit. I was a bit sceptical after reading reviews, but Tesco is to blame for a 25% off deal on this 6 bottle kit and a can of 250ml RGJ concentrate. On degassing I'd a feeling that I'd oxidised more than expelling co2, so though I'd just made some vinegar - I thought I'd sweeten a wee bit, just in case. Tasting on bottling is more than encouraging (although a smidgen sweet) and I think adding the 250 ml of RGJ concentrate helped. Tbh. If it's as good in a couple of months time I'd be more than happy to recommend this entry level cheap kit :-)

Young's definitive Cabernet Sauvignon process.......

Ingredients:
900g kit
250ml concentrate red grape juice
300g granulated sugar (dissolved)

Stats:
Og. 1 09
Fg. 0.998
ABV. 12.08%

Method;
Day 1 - Empty all ingredients into 5l fermenter & Make to 4.5L with water.
Add yeast pack and ferment at 18c for 3 weeks. Should hit 0.998 to 1.002
Day 21 - Degas by shaking fv and add pack c (stabiliser) and pack d finings and shake again. Leave a week
Day 30 - Instructions say it's ok to bottle now, but I racked to fv2 after a week and degas again.
Day 44 - Bottle after another 2 weeks

Bottling:
Add 10 sachets of sweetener to bottling bucket and bottle.
Bottled 4L. Cost £10.30, so £2.60 per litre. That's equiv to £1.95 per bottle.

Age and taste:
Age as long as possible, but drinkable on bottling. Initial tasting on bottling was fruity and smelled and tasted of Ribena. :) Initial score 80/100

Had to bottle in swing tops though...

image.jpg

I have just put this kit on too.
The only difference is I used the Youngs Red wine enricher (245g) (could be what you used.

and added the suggested 450g of sugar, because it said that on the ingredients and I wasnt thinking!

Well we shall see how it turns out, hopefully just a bit more alcoholic and not detrimental... fingers crossed for some nicely drinkable plonk

I have just put this kit on too.
The only difference is I used the Youngs Red wine enricher (245g) (could be what you used.

and added the suggested 450g of sugar, because it said that on the ingredients and I wasnt thinking!

Well we shall see how it turns out, hopefully just a bit more alcoholic and not detrimental... fingers crossed for some nicely drinkable plonk

I think it was the enriched. It needed it and tbh added a bit of body. I back sweetened with 10 sachets of trivia, but think I over did it. Should have used half that amount :doh:

Just "finished" this kit, it is currently clearing, how clear did yours get?
I normally test with a torch through, but the light isnt really getting through, is that because its a red wine or because its not cleared enough?

Not extremely clear on bottling, but I could've left it another month and it would have been clear. T.b.h I didn't really notice until I thoroughly examined it. Enjoy :grin:

Just bottled after a few clearing stages.
At the moment it is still a bit sharp/harsh (was served coldish so maybe warmth and breathing would help), but has a lovely cherry aftertaste which is nice. could do with bottle aging a bit to smoothen out.
Will update when matured.

Back