Young's Elderflower Wine Kit - First Ever Brew!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottE75

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just racked 2 dj of wine from kits. The process was a bit of a steep learning curve. All trial and error. Made loads of mistakes, but learnt loads too. They cleared up lovely after I racked them, stabilised and added finings. Racked them again today in preparation for degassing, but the first one I did sucked up too much sediment and is now cloudy again, but with that lesson learned the 2nd dj came out crystal clear. I'll rack the cloudy one again once the sediment clears, then degass and bottle both. Tried a taste of both and they taste like elderflower wine, so all is good : )

I have never made or tasted Elderflower Wine but have seen many posts about it, i will have to put it on the list of things to do.

well done..Im sure it will turn out Ok
I've made loads of Elderflower in the past and it always reminds me of Cat ****
Elderberry is much better and easy to pick wild and add a small can of grape concentrate and you have a very nice wine

well done..Im sure it will turn out Ok
I've made loads of Elderflower in the past and it always reminds me of Cat ****

Yip, wife loves it lol

p.s. and the cat :mrgreen:

Youngs Elderflower is nice, nice fresh balance to it.

Crystal clear : )
IMG_0980_zps7hfzuejq.jpg

Tried degassing for the first time today. Got a wand from ebay for about £11. Bought a new cordless drill for £20, because my old one is over 10 years old, and it was only cheap.
So I've been looking into degassing, read on this forum and on youtube various different information. Some say drill for 40 minutes, but I read on the forum to degas for 2 minutes with a drill and wand. I did it for about 5 minutes and got a foamy head which died down over night, but I gave the dj a shake and there is loads of small bubbles. I'm going to do it again tomorrow, before I bottle because I'm a bit paranoid of getting bottle bombs (and I really need my dj's back so I can rack my turbo!)

I do it for about 5 seconds forward and 5 in revers and keep switching for a minute or so.

Degassed (I hope : P) and bottled. Out of 2 dj I got 11 3/4 bottles. It's a learning experience. I'm going to drink the 3/4 tonight and leave the rest to condition in bottle...please don't explode! Cost was about £2.11 per bottle, but when I make supermarket juice wine it will work out cheaper.

Thanks to everyone on this forum who helped! :thumb:

Latest posts

Back