Young's New World Saison stuck on 1009.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfajerry

Reaction score
Instructions say to hop at 1008 and bottle at 1006, but hasn't moved for a week so doubt it'll go to 1006.
Do you think it's finished at 1009 which would be 5.91ABV instead of 6.3?

Which yeast are you using? Some Saison yeasts can stall, that's why many advise to start fermentation at 23degC and steadily keep ramping the temperature up until done.

I had a Saison stall at about 25 degC and it only kicked back into life after steadily raising to 27degC at 0.5degC per 12 hours approx.

Hi Cushsy, i have my first siason on the go using cml Lille siason yeast which i pitched at 28c the top end of it's range and it was off like a rocket it's slowed down a bit now, the smell out of the airlock are fruity and nice, my problem is i have never tasted a siason in my life so have no clue how it should taste, think i best hunt some down

Which yeast are you using? Some Saison yeasts can stall, that's why many advise to start fermentation at 23degC and steadily keep ramping the temperature up until done.

I had a Saison stall at about 25 degC and it only kicked back into life after steadily raising to 27degC at 0.5degC per 12 hours approx.
I agree, I very much doubt it'll be done at 1.009 and suggest increasing temperature (what temp is it at the moment?). I did the Young's saison years ago and my recollection is that it was dry (as a saison should be)

Hi Cushsy, i have my first siason on the go using cml Lille siason yeast which i pitched at 28c the top end of it's range and it was off like a rocket it's slowed down a bit now, the smell out of the airlock are fruity and nice, my problem is i have never tasted a siason in my life so have no clue how it should taste, think i best hunt some down
I wasn't overly impressed with the Lille saison yeast I'm afraid. That seems very high temp to pitch at. I accept that some people advocate high temps but I would argue that you need to get there over a few days and pitch towards the lower end of the yeast's range

Thanks Rod, I'm leaning that way.

Cushyno, it's whatever Young's put in the kit.
Temp currently 23, has been 26 at peak.

Thanks Rod, I'm leaning that way.

Cushyno, it's whatever Young's put in the kit.
Temp currently 23, has been 26 at peak.
So you have temperature control? If so turn it up a notch or two. A brew belt round the FV might do the trick if you haven't.

I wasn't overly impressed with the Lille saison yeast I'm afraid. That seems very high temp to pitch at. I accept that some people advocate high temps but I would argue that you need to get there over a few days and pitch towards the lower end of the yeast's range
Hi oneflewover, this brew is a step away from my usual bitters and pale's so a learning curve for me, but it will be beer, having no proper temp control i pitched and let it free fall, looks like i have done it in reverse :laugh8: live and learn

"So you have temperature control? "

No, that's just fermentation variation.

Just FYI, in the end I stirred it up and hopped it.
It finished at 1007.

It's a strange one, never had a saison before.
Not really sure what it's meant to taste like.
It seems to be getting more drinkable as the weeks go by.

Back