Youngs pressure barrel problem

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garfield

Reaction score
Hi currently have a couple of youngs pressure barrels on the go,the one I'm worried about has a hambleton bard bitter kit on secondary fermentation.
It's been on for about 8/9 days,and basically it's blown up like a balloon,and tilting to one side as the bottom has distorted.
It's got an S30 valve with brand new seals on,I'm wondering at what pressure they vent at?
I'm a bit concerned about the thing blowing,and covering the cellar,I've loosened the cap to release some pressure.Any advice anyone?

yep you kegged it to early was still in primary so was too much yeast still active best bet is to move it carefully to somewhere wher it doesnt matter if it blows and get a new keg and after a few days syphon it off into the new keg and salvage valves etc from distorted keg and chuck the rest as it will not go back to normal and thus not really safe and reliable hope that helps

SG was ok when I kegged it,I'm wondering why the safety didn't vent on the S30 valve perhaps the seal stuck to the valve.

Garfield said:
SG was ok when I kegged it,I'm wondering why the safety didn't vent on the S30 valve perhaps the seal stuck to the valve.

I would ease something like the point of a pencil under the rubber band on the relief valve to uncover the vent hole. This will let a little CO2 out and also unstick the rubber if it has stuck.

Placing it somewhere cold will also promote absorption of the CO2 into the beer, and slow down the yeast to prevent further CO2 production, both of which will help to relieve pressure in the barrel.

I find mine always swells a little with carbonation, such that it doesn't sit on the feet moulded into the bottom too well. Doesn't appear to do it any harm. :thumb:

The barrel is down the cellar,so is reasonably cool there anyway,i use a heater for the first 5 days after kegging,then remove it.
I've eased a clean pointy thing under the seal,and it vented ok,so I know it's not a stuck seal.
The barrel seems to have resumed a sort of normal shape now,and yes,they all seem to distort as you describe,but this one unusually so,perhaps a bit of a variation in manufacturing and plastic thickness?

Garfield said:
It's got an S30 valve with brand new seals on,I'm wondering at what pressure they vent at?
It should open at around 10 psi, if it is stuck then it might get to 11 or 12 but you have to block the hole on the inside to get more than that.

Maybe more likely that the batch of plastic used for your barrel was a little soft?

The advantage of a King Keg - you can take it up to 25 psi before it starts to deform significantly.

I heard the kings are good,one of my barrels is a brown boots one,I've had it for 25 years still going strong,the youngs are cheaper,but look it too.

I use several of these kegs, i had one do a similar thing before and it was due to over priming. How much sugar did you use to prime? 85grams is about the max these kegs can cope with
:cheers:

Hmmmm,used 110 grms as directed on HB better brew instructions,perhaps I'd better stick those into the boots barrel in future.
I think I may also be in the market for a couple of Kings.

Now that you've vented a bit of gas it should be fine, you can always drop the pressure further by have a sample ;)
King kegs can take up to about 120grams but just stick to 85grams for the budget kegs and you'll be fine in the future :thumb:
I wouldn't rush out and buy a new one but just keep a close eye on it
:cheers:

Been reading up on cornies,is the drill the same as with a pressure barrel as in secondary fermentation takes place in the keg,or is there another method?

Back