Youngs Super Major Airlock.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
After a few years of good service my blow off tube has started to leak (no bubbles in the jar) so i bought a Youngs Super Major Airlock as i had read good reviews, the main problem for me with standard airlocks was not the wine leaving the FV through the airlock it was the drying out as the vigorous fermentation blew all the water out , the main body of the super airlock is huge compared to the Wilko handy airlocks i normally use, the body measures 8 cm x 4 cm and the diameter of the stem is also slightly larger so is a tight fit in the well worn grommet in my FV, it is a 3 part airlock and is silent in operation.

1594999739938.png

Wilko handy airlock next to the the big boy.

The body of the Youngs Super airlock is 8 cm by 4 cm.

The Wilko airlock is 5 cm by 2.5 cm.

aaaaaaa.jpg

Last edited:
These have been out for a long time. I've had mine about 5 years. They are only as good as the seal around the grommit, like any airlock. And I've had beer coming out of this airlock.

They are only as good as the seal around the grommit, like any airlock.

The grommet or FV lid seal was never an issue for me it was the ease in which a vigorous fermentation blew all the water out of the wilko 2 part handy airlocks i use, i have pressed the centre of the lid down to force CO2 through the new big airlock and it doesn't look like its going to be an issue with this 3 part version.

Update -

The airlock is on the FV of wine i started yesterday and its bubbling enough to have emptied the smaller airlocks i used to use, non of the liquid has been pushed out so well worth the money.

Have you considered a taller FV for more headroom? I often brew in my bedroom so silence is as important.

I got one of these for the fv in my new brew fridge, although a big boy still much shorter than what seems the standard swan neck type airlocks you get nowadays. I do miss the gentle plopping of the old one though, even if it'd be largely unheard in the confines of the fridge !

Have you considered a taller FV for more headroom? I often brew in my bedroom so silence is as important.

From the OP -
the body measures 8 cm x 4 cm and the diameter of the stem is also slightly larger so is a tight fit in the well worn grommet in my FV, it is a 3 part airlock and is silent in operation.

I’ve got one of these for my big FV as well. It is very quiet compared to a standard bubbler when a 5gall brew is underway.
In fact, it’s so quiet that there’s a drawback! It’s SO quiet I can‘t just pop my head around the door so check if a fermentation has almost finished. I have to go and stare at if for a bit to see if it’s still bubbling!

Last edited:
I totally agree with you there Penhow Brewer. I do miss the sound of the standard bubbler as it bubbles away. You could always hear it as you walk past the room its in, but with the super airlock, I have to keep checking it is still fermenting!
A big advantage though is it fits easier into my brew fridge when attached to the top of the 27 litre FV, as opposed to the old one as it was a snug fit for sure.

Latest posts

Back