Your Brew as a Pain Killer!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gulpitdarn

Regular.
Reaction score
I've just had a long day at a Convention that I attended which involved sitting for a number of hours... with a bad back! As much as I have enjoyed my day, I'm happy to be home and to nurse the bad back with one of my stronger brews....

I'm currently supping a 9% Strong Chocolate Stout, it's good but still a bit young and boozy but it is improving since my last pint, it's doing good in taking away the pain....

Do you find your beers soothing for some kinda pain?
Pic Sinking Ship.jpg

Oi! Wrong thread!:laugh8:
When I was suffering before my hip replacement and taking a break from tramadol,diazapan and other stuff I found the beer helped as it relaxes you.

Pain is weird. I read of a dentist who gave his patients a push button. As long as they held it down, he could drill away. They never used it because they were in control. I think we can stand a lot of pain if we can decide when enough is enough. My Mum got great comfort in her last days with cancer because they gave her a morphine pump. No longer did she have to wait for the nurse to give her pills. She could balance pain relief with feeling foggy and never worry that the pain would get unbearable.

I sometimes get terrible neck pains which I soothe with ibuprofen and beer. The dr said the beer is probably relaxing the muscles but didn't recommend it as a legitimate medicine.

I sometimes get terrible neck pains which I soothe with ibuprofen and beer. The dr said the beer is probably relaxing the muscles but didn't recommend it as a legitimate medicine.
.................. only because he can't give you a prescription for it!

I had terrible toothache a week ago and found that a couple of pints of my Totally Tropical Pale took the edge off. Highly recommended as painkiller.

Absolutely true that it works. I've had chronic back trouble since my 20s (so over 40 years now asad1). Most days it's OK, just a bit stiff. Often, it is both stiff and sore. When it does flare up it can be very painful indeed, even incapacitating. Aspirin, paracetamol or ibuprofen have absolutely zero affect when it's bad (or really when it's just a twinge). Having two or three pints doesn't make much difference. Five or six pints does. And it isn't just because I don't notice the pain so much. Often, when my back is bad, my muscles go into spasm. Then, I may be bent over to the left or right and cannot straighten. But after, say, six pints, the muscles loosen up & I can stand and walk normally. Even my wife can verify this - and she is not normally one for encouraging me to have an extra few pints! (Unfortunately....)

Absolutely true that it works. I've had chronic back trouble since my 20s (so over 40 years now asad1). Most days it's OK, just a bit stiff. Often, it is both stiff and sore. When it does flare up it can be very painful indeed, even incapacitating. Aspirin, paracetamol or ibuprofen have absolutely zero affect when it's bad (or really when it's just a twinge). Having two or three pints doesn't make much difference. Five or six pints does. And it isn't just because I don't notice the pain so much. Often, when my back is bad, my muscles go into spasm. Then, I may be bent over to the left or right and cannot straighten. But after, say, six pints, the muscles loosen up & I can stand and walk normally. Even my wife can verify this - and she is not normally one for encouraging me to have an extra few pints! (Unfortunately....)

I know how that feels hoppyland, I've had the same for years. Alcohol or Sodium Diclofenac are the only things that sort it out.

I am permanently precribed pain killers which are only partilly effective. A really good dram totally kills the pain.It is most certainly down to muscle relaxation.
(Rather than simply not feeling it.)
Sometimes its the only way i can get pain relief to fall asleep.

I do worry about self medicating with alcohol as i dont need ANY more health problems.

As far as the doctors are concerned the next step up is Opium derived painkillers, Dont really want to go there either.

Some members that follow my posts may have noticed i often post in the middle of the night.Thats the reason, It is simply sometimes to painfull to be in bed.

Latest posts

Back