Your favourite hop?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oo
So many hops, so little time.....
Noble - Hallertau Mittelfruh
English - Challenger
New world - Galaxy

But the hop I always have in my freezer? Magnum. Just such a great bittering hop.
That's my go-to bittering hop, too, with CTZ a close second for hoppy American ales. I really must use more Saaz and/or Kazbek in an English style bitter or pale ale, I wonder if anyone has already tried that.
The most disappointing hops for me are those coming out of the Hüll farm in Germany: Melon, and Mandarina Bavaria just don't live up to the hype, in my opinion. I've had a pack of Hallertau Blanc hanging around for a while and I suppose I'd better give it a go, but I'm not optimistic.

I would probably go for Mosaic, when it starts getting warmer their is something delightful about a pale ale hopped with jus Mosaic.

I’m also partial to Bramling Cross (at least in part because I like the name it has a nice ring to it.

I’m going to cheat and say Falconers Flight

Otherwise probably Simcoe. I’m also a fan of Hallertau Tradition, it seems to have better buttering qualities than your usual German hop but just as nice late on.

I would probably go for Mosaic, when it starts getting warmer their is something delightful about a pale ale hopped with jus Mosaic.

I’m also partial to Bramling Cross (at least in part because I like the name it has a nice ring to it.

I use Bramling Cross in my plum porter but not so much in anything else.

I have used it in bitters but mostly use it for darker beers i.e. porters (also off topic but is your recipe for plum porter posted anywhere)

The recipe was a bit experimental but I’m happy to share...

3.6Kg Maris Otter
500g Brown malt EBC 130
350g Crystal EBC 385
350g Chocolate malt EBC 1125
150g Special-B malt EBC 300
75 min mash at 150F
Mash out to 175F
Sparge
1Kg sugar
35g Fuggles (60 mins)
15g Fuggles (15 mins)
15g Bramling cross (15 mins)
1/2 Protofloc tablet at 15 mins
No Whirlpool
Added water to OG=1050
20g Empire ale yeast
No dry hop
Barrelled on day 9, FG=1012
Uncle Roy’s Plum essence to taste

Came out just under 5% and took a couple of months to condition because the essence introduced a chemical taste - I obviously overdid the essence. The chemical taste did go but had me worried for a while.

Good question, and tough one to answer. At any given point I probably have 10 different hops on hand in the freezer, but the one I ALWAYS have on hand is Cascade, so I guess that's my choice. Works well at any point in the boil, and can fit in with a number of different styles. Plays well with others. And if I sample a beer in the fermenter and think "meh" a Cascade dry hop will often rescue it.

I have a lot of love for Amarillo, tends to go pretty well with everything (and are decent for all jobs).
I like commercial Galaxy beers, haven't had a chance to brew anything with Galaxy hops yet though.

1. Galaxy *
2. amarillo (often used iwth no.1 above)
3. simcoe

* - best of luck with galaxy - I have bought most of the uk's supply - mwah mwah **

** only kidding

I really must use more Saaz and/or Kazbek in an English style bitter or pale ale, I wonder if anyone has already tried that.
My standard pale ale recipe is a EKG / Saaz blend, very tasty.

I like First Gold in bitters, gone through a lot of Styrian Goldings over the past year as my mates favourite beer to brew is a Corncrake clone which has 100g of them in it. Admiral is my go-to bittering hop so is probably my most used hop overall.

3313852C-8E0A-4E40-9F1D-79F716CF9545.jpeg

Oops! Sorry boss :rolleyes:

Challenger/ EKG combo for British ales, Galaxy new world. For all you galaxy lovers this https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product/dennis-kings-galaxy-delight/ is the best beer I have brewed. Can't quite get this love of Citra smells like cat's p!ss to me.
Looks like a fair enough recipe and might even have a go. But for a" Classic English-Style Pale Ale "made with Galaxy and brewed with West Coast yeast it's a bit not-very-British innit. No doubt it's lovely, though.

Looks like a fair enough recipe and might even have a go. But for a" Classic English-Style Pale Ale "made with Galaxy and brewed with West Coast yeast it's a bit not-very-British innit. No doubt it's lovely, though.

They sell it with that yeast but I don't buy it as an AG kit so use just that malt and hop bill and normally use WLP002 or WLP013 yeast.

Latest posts

Back