Your First Beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the first beer I ever had was probably one of those little stubby bottles of lager that you used to get from Sainsbury's in the 90's. 'Biere Speciale' I think it was called. I'd normally be allowed to have one at special occasions or when we are on holiday.

In terms of the first beer I would have actually purchased in a pub then it would have been Wadworths 6X. Growing up only 6 or so miles from the brewery it was the obvious choice but most of my mates thought I was mad for drinking anything that wasn't lager.

This is one of the earliest beers I can remember drinking ( took ages to remember the name ! )

My dad also drank McEwans Tartan special and Webster's Yorkshire bitter
He'd break out the party 7 if an occasion with a few people round.

First pints in village local were a good start as local breweries were Morrells and Hook Norton. They also had Badger ales, always a favourite since.

Bavaria lager or Stripe and it was rank then but so were most commercial lagers.
What ? No steiger ?
0D60A8CB-6FD6-4305-B266-A743E5338EC7.png

Party 7, under the stairs at Mum and Dads, I'm still scarred, thought it was quite posh as it had a sparklet dispenser.. ...I was wrong!

This is one of the earliest beers I can remember drinking ( took ages to remember the name ! )

My dad also drank McEwans Tartan special and Webster's Yorkshire bitter
He'd break out the party 7 if an occasion with a few people round.

First pints in village local were a good start as local breweries were Morrells and Hook Norton. They also had Badger ales, always a favourite since.

Funny you mention Hook Norton as my daughter had been visiting her aunt and uncle my brother and sister in law who live in Witney before Christmas and gave me a beeny hat with their logo for a present.

Funny you mention Hook Norton as my daughter had been visiting her aunt and uncle my brother and sister in law who live in Witney before Christmas and gave me a beeny hat with their logo for a present.
If you visit your brother it's well worth a visit, a beautiful Victorian building that seems completely out of scale with its surroundings in a small village.
Very good shop too, they do a good range of bottles and minipins. I recommend their Flagship IPA !

I remember having the end of my dads can of tennents when I was about 9. He would have a few before going to the pub on a sat night and gave me the near empty can when he was leaving. It was the cans with the pictures of lovely ladies on the back.
my first teenage drink was small cans of Heineken at a mates house.
It all went down hill from there.

Last edited:
Early 80's, about 8yo. Me tough as boots ad grandma was baby sitting. "Grandma, cana hava taste ayea beer?" She always drank Newcastle brown from a proper 1/2 pint schooner glass. Aye, ganon then. Spat it oot. Thought it was horrid, put me off beer for another 8 years! made her chuckle though! Never asked again.

Attachments

• 20220122_204341.jpg
    20220122_204341.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 17
Karslberg given to me by my uncle on holiday (on the lines of have a proper drink pad not that Come *****).

Although if you count wine 13 on a French exchange (oddly enough by the uncle of the kid I was staying with) who was quite insistent that water rusts your insides drink wine instead.

If you visit your brother it's well worth a visit, a beautiful Victorian building that seems completely out of scale with its surroundings in a small village.
Very good shop too, they do a good range of bottles and minipins. I recommend their Flagship IPA !
I'll be going over this year and will certainly take a tour as it's only 35 mins from his house.Cheers.

Early 80's, about 8yo. Me tough as boots ad grandma was baby sitting. "Grandma, cana hava taste ayea beer?" She always drank Newcastle brown from a proper 1/2 pint schooner glass. Aye, ganon then. Spat it oot. Thought it was horrid, put me off beer for another 8 years! made her chuckle though! Never asked again.

I bought a bottle of this a couple of years back. It was vile.

My first beer was Heineken, that’s what mum and dad always bought when they fancied a beer. My grandad had White Horse whiskey and use to give me a cap full from a very young age to put me off alcohol, it didn’t work! 😂😂😂

First beer in a pub - Labatts. The Grove, Shady Grove, Alsager.
1987 aged 15. Barman was a lad called Kev. Sunday evenings happy hour was £1 a pint. School was very interesting the following day. Also the fish man used to come in during the night in his white Grimsby fishmongers overalls “Cockles,, Mussels, Prawns!” I could have had Grunhalle at 80p per pint but who would drink that rubbish….

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back