Your First Beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeeH

Insert Witty Comment Here
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What’s the first beer you can remember drinking?
I remember my dad letting me have a cheeky 1/2 tin of this while my mum was out at bingo.

ACFC0790-F678-4F27-BB1E-36C95D3DE1AD.jpeg
ACFC0790-F678-4F27-BB1E-36C95D3DE1AD.jpeg

Last edited:
An old mate worked at Bass in the early 90s. He tells me they did regular lager benchmarking tastings. In normal tastings, Grolsch was often the winner. Blind tastings, with labels hidden, often resulted in Skol beating all comers...
I think I was supplied it for teenage parties because 1) it was only 3.something ABV IIRC and 2) it was cheap.

When I was about 15/16 I was one of the only one of my friends who looked old enough to get served so I would often get sent to the offy on their behalf. I used to buy them Skol and a charge Budweiser prices.

Does a can of bass shandy from Woolies count? If not, my uncle gave me some Asda lager when I was about 14. My dad hit the roof as he didn't think I should drink before I was 18.

Would have been my dads homebrew, I think.

First commercial beer would have been a can of hoffmeister with my Grandad, aged about 13 in the mid 80's. Suddenly, I miss him very much.

Edit - that's me who would have been 13 in the mid 80s, not my Grandad :laugh8::laugh8: I know I'm from Lincolnshire, but I'm not from Boston.

Half pint of Tetleys Mild age 14 my mate and I bought in the snug of our local his uncle worked at, loved it ever since. I think it was 10d for the two! he said “sup up and **** off” the old blokes with flat caps smoking pipes chuckled away..

Aged about 11, on a family holiday to Ireland, my brother and I were allowed to share a bottle of Guinness. I remember the bottles, which had a wide mouth and a metal cap which tore off. We had a few that holiday and i developed quite a taste for the black stuff, funny thing is, I can't stand it now.

Guinness, at the Guinness brewery in Dublin while I was on holiday with my family aged 11. I can almost smell the aromas of the brewery visit today.

Back