Your views on how the Tories have handled Coronavirus.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This isn’t over yet there’s more to come out. The papers have got the scent of blood and will keep going on the evil *******.

Or maybe it's all part of Megaminds herd immunity eugenics plan.

Imagine how many people are going to use this as an excuse to go out now.

I get the feeling the Cummins story was leaked to the press by certain sections of the tory party. There's plenty in the Tory party that like him about as much as any lefty. Anyway the knives really seem to be out for him.

I get the feeling the Cummins story was leaked to the press by certain sections of the tory party. There's plenty in the Tory party that like him about as much as any lefty. Anyway the knives really seem to be out for him.
Some clumsy question dodging from Boris this afternoon. So, did Cummings go to Barnard Castle or not? I don't think this story's going away in a hurry, and Johnson's inability to deal with it could (and should) cost him dear.

Some clumsy question dodging from Boris this afternoon. So, did Cummings go to Barnard Castle or not? I don't think this story's going away in a hurry, and Johnson's inability to deal with it could (and should) cost him dear.

I watched the daily briefing today and it was quite the car crash. I agree I dont think this is going away anytime soon. All the journo's questions were about this story as well as the member of the public who asked a question. They were like a dog with a bone - they smell blood in the water. It was funny BJ cutting off the journo's when they were trying to ask follow up questions.

Just heard on the radio a man who has had the virus. He phoned the NHS virus helpline and was told he and all his immediate family must isolate in there own home and can only leave the home if it becomes a life threatening condition and it must be by calling 999 for an ambulance. He was also told if any member of the family did leave home they could be charged under the emergency legislation as they would be considered a threat to the public. I think Johnson has probably lost a lot of credibility with the public today.
I know a few on here have had the virus would be interesting to hear what "advice" they may have received.

threat to the public. I think Johnson has probably lost a lot of credibility with the public today.

I agree. BJ should have chucked Cummings under the bus. This episode may cost BJ a lot in political capital

A yougov poll say 52% polled said he should quit and 68% polled agreed he had broken the rules

I agree. BJ should have chucked Cummings under the bus. This episode may cost BJ a lot in political capital

A yougov poll say 52% polled said he should quit and 68% polled agreed he had broken the rules
Not sure we're looking at this from the right angle. It's Coco who appointed him and Coco who's defending him. It's the PM who needs to resign.

Not sure we're looking at this from the right angle. It's Coco who appointed him and Coco who's defending him. It's the PM who needs to resign.

C'mon you know thats not going to happen, and thats not how it works. It's Cummings who broke the rules so should (and may be forced by tory grandee's to protect BJ and the party) to fall on his sword

That's why BJ is protecting him. But theres a possibilty that BJ may be taken down with Cummings

I believe we are in a period of politics (last 10-15years) where there is no accountability or consequence to political actions. It seems most politicians (although not Diana Abbott) can do or say want they want, stand there deny fact put to them, not answer questions and they get away with it because we live in a time when the majority can't be arsed to do anything about it. So the country will say 'that's shocking blah blah blah' but nothing will come of it. I hope I am wrong though and Cummings, and Boris fall on their swords.

Imagine having done something so shameful (that you want to keep hidden) that you would rather defend your appointed advisor to the whole nation on live tv rather than sack him.

His actions have undermined the messages the government have been pushing and all the ministers and now BJ defending him will lead to chaos.

Starmer should be readying for a vote of no confidence in the government or, at the very least, pushing for a government of national unity until we get out of this mess

Imagine having done something so shameful (that you want to keep hidden) that you would rather defend your appointed advisor to the whole nation on live tv rather than sack him.

His actions have undermined the messages the government have been pushing and all the ministers and now BJ defending him will lead to chaos.

Starmer should be readying for a vote of no confidence in the government or, at the very least, pushing for a government of national unity until we get out of this mess

Is an additional issue faced by Johnson not that his cabinet have all come out and stated very publicly that nothing untoward had occured, which the medical advisor yesterday also got harangued into going along with? If Cummings steps down it now looks like they were all complicit in the cover up. Water of a ducks back for the cretinous Gove, but the others could be stuck in the wilderness as a result.

I believe we are in a period of politics (last 10-15years) where there is no accountability or consequence to political actions. It seems most politicians (although not Diana Abbott) can do or say want they want, stand there deny fact put to them, not answer questions and they get away with it because we live in a time when the majority can't be arsed to do anything about it. So the country will say 'that's shocking blah blah blah' but nothing will come of it. I hope I am wrong though and Cummings, and Boris fall on their swords.

I totally agree. But as I mentioned, I think this is being driven by Cummings enemies in the Conservative party. The daily briefing was interesting as ALL the journo's were on the attack even one's who previously may have given BJ an easy ride. Plus there's also been no 'distraction story' in the papers like there often is when things like this happen. No Sir Air marsh commodore general Tom (or whatever he is now) type story.

Im thinking that the grandee's believe Cummings has outlived his usefulness to the party so now they want to get shot of him and will force him to resign. They've picked a good way to get rid off him because they know the public are dead set against lock down breakers.The Scottish medical advisor bod was forced to resign but notice there was no outcry or Witch hunt when cabinet MP Robert Jenick broke lock down TWICE to travel to his second home. Cummings broke lockdown in March and April. They've been sitting on the story until they wanted to get rid of him

BJ wont go because his approval ratings are still high and he's still useful to the party

C'mon you know thats not going to happen, and thats not how it works. It's Cummings who broke the rules so should (and may be forced by tory grandee's to protect BJ and the party) to fall on his sword
Well you're right, but you're wrong. Cummings broke the rules, but, Coco is saying he didn't. At least he could say that Cummings did break the rules, but he's keeping him on anyway. Instead, he's made it clear that there's one rule for him and his mates and another for the rest of us.

Well you're right, but you're wrong. Cummings broke the rules, but, Coco is saying he didn't. At least he could say that Cummings did break the rules, but he's keeping him on anyway. Instead, he's made it clear that there's one rule for him and his mates and another for the rest of us.

But the public tacitly agrees that there's one rule for them and one for us in general. Take lying for example. If you or I lied as much in our jobs as MP's do we'd be sacked and once upon a time it would be a resigning matter for an MP to blatanty lie as much as they do. But nowadays because there's a tacit agreement between the public and MP to lie so much it's par for the course and they do it all the time with impunity.
However the lock down rule is different. The public has been massively in favour of the lockdown and Cummings breaking it is a big no-no. But BJ himself hasnt broken that no-no just tried to cover his mate that did. That's why I think Cummings be forced to fall on his sword and BJ will get away with it

But nowadays because there's a tacit agreement between the public and MP to lie so much it's par for the course and they do it all the time with impunity.

This. This sums politics and society up perfectly. We are tacitly implicit in all of this due to how society is, and most are unaware. False class consciousness as Karl Marx ( yeah yeah I'm a commie) would say.

I'd be interested to see what @foxy would say the Aussies would do about this. My understanding from friends living there is that they wouldn't put up with this stuff as much, and the PM would be on borrowed time, and bloody well know about it. They have elections with great regularity.

Back