Your views on how the Tories have handled Coronavirus.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It also made the news today that of countries gathering comparable data (so you would imagine those we would see as our peer group) we have the most deaths per million of population in the entire world.

Damning stuff. Unprecedented or not, this virus was way more controllable than our leaders either demonstrated nor would have us believe.

I don't know who we would see in our group to be honest. We have Europe's #1 airport which is a destination for International Travellers, we have Europe's #1 city in terms on people per 1 square kilometre, we have a more diverse ethnic population than many European countries.

Until statisticians taking into account all of this stuff from all countries to come up with a comparable data set just cannot compare to other countries. Just taking infections and death data from one country to another is pointless unless you discount all factors that can skew the comparison.

Now you're just trolling - arguing Cummings didn't break lockdown in one breath then castigating the UK for not following lockdown in the next.
Can you show me where I said Cummings didn't break lockdown rules. I don't think so.
I do understand that this is a Tory bashing thread, a release for those who are disappointed that Labour didn't get in. They will get back in one day memories aren't so long lived to forget about the state of the country when the last labour PM exited the post.

First things first. It is an "Advisor" we are discussing and not an elected official. As far as I am concerned the man is no different to myself when I worked as a Management Consultant. I was given a brief by my Client and I carried out that brief or got sacked! (I actually resigned from one job when I was employed as the HSE Manager. I was asked to not investigate a fatality, so I cleared my desk, put in my Invoice and walked out of the office within about two hours; never to return!)

I see there is a demand for "Facts" in this case so:
  1. The Durham Police interviewed Dominic Cummins and decided that he had broken the law when he drove to Barnard Castel. Reference: UK police to take no action against PM's adviser Cummings: report - AOL
  2. Boris went to Chequers to convalesce from his coronavirus illness! He didn't bother to go to a secure place close to the hospital in order to convalesce. The hospital where he was treated (St Thomas Hospital) is 1.4km from 10 Downing Street and 5km from Islington where he lives. The PM's country residence (Chequers) via the A40 & A413 is 64.9km away. Maybe this is a reason why he daren't sack his advisor! Reference: Michelin route planner and maps, traffic news, weather forecast, restaurants and hotel booking
  3. Here's another "fact" for everyone to digest. For many years theologians debated the situation of "How many angels can dance on the head of a pin." and people want "facts" about Dominic Cousin's actions? aheadbuttaheadbutt Reference: How many angels can dance on the head of a pin? - Wikipedia
I'm pretty sure that anyone with an IQ greater than "Moron" can work out that what the advisor did was wrong. (Try telling the next Magistrate you stand in front of that the offence you were committing was "slight" and "not worth bothering about".)

Or maybe Boris just daren't fire his advisor! (Maybe it's because this unelected person is actually running the country and Boris just isn't up to the job, or maybe he is too frightened to sack him in case he tells people where the skeletons are buried.

Either way, Boris and his senior echelon of "Yes men!" (and women too) should never have supported the advisor!

I do understand that this is a Tory bashing thread, a release for those who are disappointed that Labour didn't get in. They will get back in

As I have posted several times I am not a Tory voter, i don't think the government have done a bad job (no point in telling me I am wrong it's already been done) I do hope all those Labour voters who lent them their vote and are now bitching are proud of themselves.

As I have posted several times I am not a Tory voter, i don't think the government have done a bad job (no point in telling me I am wrong it's already been done) I do hope all those Labour voters who lent them their vote and are now bitching are proud of themselves.

Most covid-scenarios predict stability after a year, so the judgement of good/bad job can be done Summer 2021 by counting all the over-death, all the people that died more than the average, and compare those numbers to the neighbours'.

Most covid-scenarios predict stability after a year, so the judgement of good/bad job can be done Summer 2021 by counting all the over-death, all the people that died more than the average, and compare those numbers to the neighbours'.
In the meantime however, we can look at the state of care homes, framing it with talk of "throwing a protective ring around them" which is obviously a colossal lie. We can look at the ppe crisis, Priti Patels pithy "apology" over it, and the embarrassing counting of individual gloves as ppe items to fudge the number. We can look at the fudging of test numbers to meet an arbitrary target, and subsequent fudging by counting a nasal and throat swab of the same person at the same time as 2 tests.

We can reasonably use the fact that we have 2 or 3 weeks advance warning aswell as clear evidence of the damage done in Italy and still managed to comfortably see them off into first place in Europe, whilst we dabbled in herd immunity. That's before we get into the EU ventilator scheme, jobs for the boys for James Dyson, farming dying patients out to care homes so they didnt show in the stats. The list is long.

At the outset of this I felt almost sorry for the tories. The longer it goes on, the more it becomes clear they have got it disastrously wrong. We dont have to wait a year to make that call, and whether Labour or anyone else would have been as bad is a totally irrelevant distraction. The Tories have absolutely ****** this.

I don't know who we would see in our group to be honest. We have Europe's #1 airport which is a destination for International Travellers, we have Europe's #1 city in terms on people per 1 square kilometre, we have a more diverse ethnic population than many European countries.

Until statisticians taking into account all of this stuff from all countries to come up with a comparable data set just cannot compare to other countries. Just taking infections and death data from one country to another is pointless unless you discount all factors that can skew the comparison.
Absolutely agree, we have still got a long way to go, and unfortunately a lot more deaths as we come out of lock down, not over by a long chalk.

It's pretty evident you dont need told, but for the benefit of others it's worth just focusing on the last bit as further evidence that the members and leaders of the Conservative party do not consider the families of most of the UK public to be on the same plane as their own. We will never get a better illustration of this than the Cummings debacle and the subsequent MPs lining up to make an a**e of themselves defending him.

For the working class voters who have swung towards Tory (probably) for reasons we shouldnt get into here, this should be a huge reality check about what I tell anyone who will listen.....

For 98% of British voters, your interests and those of the likes of Boris Johnson, Jacob Rees Mogg and Michael Gove will never, ever align. They feel nothing but visceral disdain for you.
Straight from the mouth of the left.
Boris has done a fantastic job and has acted correctly backing Cummings. He has made a point that our leftie, anti-British media isn't going to dictate how our country is run. It's no secret that this is all about trying to force an extension to negotiations.
Maybe when Blair & Cambell are at least imprisoned for their war crimes, Cummings should be asked to resign.

Boris has done a fantastic job and has acted correctly backing Cummings. He has made a point that our leftie, anti-British media isn't going to dictate how our country is run. It's no secret that this is all about trying to force an extension to negotiations.
Maybe when Blair & Cambell are at least imprisoned for their war crimes, Cummings should be asked to resign.

Some top class whataboutery there.

Edited to add that I note you fail to mention the far more relevant and comparable case of Caroline Calderwood, who was correctly hunted from her position following her own undermining of the public health message.

Last edited:
Googling "left wing right wing" to find a pithy definition:

Generally, the left-wing is characterized by an emphasis on "ideas such as freedom, equality, fraternity, rights, progress, reform and internationalism" while the right-wing is characterized by an emphasis on "notions such as authority, hierarchy, order, duty, tradition, reaction and nationalism".

I think your post shows you lie squarely in the latter part of this quote. Would you agree? I would take "Straight from the mouth of the Left" to be a compliment. Well said, Brunaldo! Love or hate Jeremy, and I can see why people do one or the other, the slogan "For the many, not the few" was a great slogan then and remains so today. I'm afraid there's not much I agree with in your post, but it would be nice to see Blair get his comeuppance. Also glad to see you think Cummings should be asked to resign. Personally I think he should be summarily sacked, but resignation would do.

I think Blair and Brown showed just how easy it is to bamboozle the Labour voters, at the end of their terms the country and the populace were worse off.
Blair took the labour party policy of redistribution of wealth, to mean it should come to him.

I think Blair and Brown showed just how easy it is to bamboozle the Labour voters, at the end of their terms the country and the populace were worse off.
Blair took the labour party policy of redistribution of wealth, to mean it should come to him.

Revisionism. I'm no fan of either men, but the world financial crisis was the key factor at the end of the Labour years. No economy that relies so hugely on financial services was immune from that hit.

It's no secret that this is all about trying to force an extension to negotiations.

I think it must be. How is whether or not cummings broke lock down rules got anything to to do with an extenstion to the transition period (btw we'll be in negotiations with the EU for years over many many things due to the fact we're so interlinked with it)

While I agree some sort of action should have been taken against Blair I should point out our leftie anti- british media that called for action against Cummings included those bastions of the left The Telegraph, The Times and even the extreme far left Daily Mail. I think any party of any colour would struggle and make mistakes in this current situation but some sort of contrition occasionally would be nice. I am still struggling to see how any one can defend taking a child on a 30 mile drive to "test your eyesight" is justifiable.

Back