You're stuck in quarantine with only one beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I could get ahold of some of this again I'd be a very happy bunny.
If memory serves, it tasted like a sort of caramelly light ale. Very easy to drink and very easy to fall over after a few too many.

download.jpg

Hard to choose, TT Landlord is up there. I brew Gamma Ray and Summer Lighting frequently so yeh those would be top.. but another not mentioned that I think I could live on would be Ruby Red Ale from St Peters.

If I could get ahold of some of this again I'd be a very happy bunny.
If memory serves, it tasted like a sort of caramelly light ale. Very easy to drink and very easy to fall over after a few too many.

View attachment 24851

I am almost 100% sure that is what was originally Barkley Perkins Sparkling Beer, as didn't BP Imperial Stout get re-badged as Courage Imperial Stout? If so, there are recipes in Ron Pattinson's blog. I've brewed it myself, it's essentially a lager with shed loads of caramel malt. In fact I've just done some googling, and Courage SB seems to have a following in the Navy, which also fits with BP Sparkling Ale which was an early pasteurised canned beer.

I've brewed this one before, but used a recipe from one of his books so can't post it here, but this one from the 1960's can't be far off the one that became the Courage version (assuming my theory is correct)

Thanks for the link jjish, I'm going to be doing that for sure.
Apart from when i was in the Navy, I've only ever seen it in pubs in Gibraltar and been told that it was also served in the house of commons bar.
At sea (when the equivalent of a Corporal and below) we'd get it in cans (tinnies) limited to three per day per man. Of course it was easy to get around this if you fancied more.
Once promoted to the equivalent of Sergeant and above, things got messy as it was pretty much available on tap, in unlimited amounts, until it ran out.
Grand times.

If we are going for fairly mainstream beers then Clwb Tropicana for me.

Otherwise my local microbrewery (71 Brewing in Dundee) does a wonderful IPA (Left Coast IPA) which I had from afresh keg and it was phenomenal (I was disappointed with the cans though).

Cask would be Greenjack Trawler Boys
Bottle would be Emersons’s Bookbinder.
Both are session strength but very tasty beers.

It's really just too much horror to contemplate.

Draught would be Landlord
Can would be Odell IPA
Bottle would be Saison Dupont

I couldn't pick one and quite frankly picking those 3 felt like cheating on a wealth of other beers ashock1

Orval in the day and Goose Island Bourbon County Stout at night

This is also one of my favourites but I am having trouble finding it here
Black Wych porter.

s-l400.jpg

Latest posts

Back