Zero airlock activity but SG going down

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oniell500

Reaction score
Hello - fairly new to home-brewing and after 5 pretty successful brews a problem has arisen with my new batch brewed on Monday.

It was my first time making a starter at which I pitched at high-krausen (just under 24 hours of propagation including 18 hours on a stir-plate) into my aerated wort (5 minutes using an aerator paddle and drill). I used Wyeast London Ale III. Was hoping that I would see activity pretty quickly and that my starter would not only promote healthy yeast but also quicken the fermentation time.

However, after 24 hours there was no sign of activity from the airlock. I know this can take up to 48 hours, but due to my starter I was expecting it to be a matter of hours until activity was noticeable. Anyway, I thought I'd take a gravity reading to see if any fermentation was taking place, the OG was 1.056 and the SG after 24 hours was 1.044 and took another reading after 36 hours has dropped to 1.037.

Have read that gravity readings are more accurate than airlock activity but just a bit confused as to why I'm not seeing any activity? Have replaced the airlock as thought this could be an issue, the lid is locked on tight (Grainfather Conical Fermenter) and was pretty happy with the yeast starter. If anyone could shed some light on this that would be awesome and any tips would be much appreciated. Cheers!

Hello - fairly new to home-brewing and after 5 pretty successful brews a problem has arisen with my new batch brewed on Monday.

It was my first time making a starter at which I pitched at high-krausen (just under 24 hours of propagation including 18 hours on a stir-plate) into my aerated wort (5 minutes using an aerator paddle and drill). I used Wyeast London Ale III. Was hoping that I would see activity pretty quickly and that my starter would not only promote healthy yeast but also quicken the fermentation time.

However, after 24 hours there was no sign of activity from the airlock. I know this can take up to 48 hours, but due to my starter I was expecting it to be a matter of hours until activity was noticeable. Anyway, I thought I'd take a gravity reading to see if any fermentation was taking place, the OG was 1.056 and the SG after 24 hours was 1.044 and took another reading after 36 hours has dropped to 1.037.

Have read that gravity readings are more accurate than airlock activity but just a bit confused as to why I'm not seeing any activity? Have replaced the airlock as thought this could be an issue, the lid is locked on tight (Grainfather Conical Fermenter) and was pretty happy with the yeast starter. If anyone could shed some light on this that would be awesome and any tips would be much appreciated. Cheers!

Hi and Welcome to the forum!

Airlock activity is not a good proxy for rate of fermentation. There can be a number of reasons that airlock activity is or isn't observed. As you say, gravity readings are the way to see what's going on.
It sounds from the readngs like it's going well, so no need to worry I wouldn't have thought, satisfying though a bubbling airlock may be :D
I imagine that perhaps the fermentor isn't fully airtight (which isn't necessarily a problem).

Like already mentioned, it sounds like you have an air leak somewhere.

Normally, I would also check the temperature of the fermenter. If it's low, then fementation will be slower or if it's too low it might not start at all. But as your SG is going down, it sounds more like a air leak.

Just out of curiosity, is the seal in the lid? And you hadn’t forgot to put it back in after cleaning? It’s obviously fermenting so I wouldn’t worry too much. But just double check you put the seal back?

Just out of curiosity, is the seal in the lid? And you hadn’t forgot to put it back in after cleaning? It’s obviously fermenting so I wouldn’t worry too much. But just double check you put the seal back?

Cheers for the response. The seal was definitely on the lid but occasionally comes out when I’m putting the lid back on, didn't see it happen but was thinking this could be a reason for it. Will just leave it and then once fermentation has finished transfer to keg and cold crash I think rather than opening the lid to have a look!

Like already mentioned, it sounds like you have an air leak somewhere.

Normally, I would also check the temperature of the fermenter. If it's low, then fementation will be slower or if it's too low it might not start at all. But as your SG is going down, it sounds more like a air leak.

Definitely an air leak - temp is as it should be. Frustrating but at least it's still fermenting. All part of the learning process I guess!

Hi and Welcome to the forum!

Airlock activity is not a good proxy for rate of fermentation. There can be a number of reasons that airlock activity is or isn't observed. As you say, gravity readings are the way to see what's going on.
It sounds from the readngs like it's going well, so no need to worry I wouldn't have thought, satisfying though a bubbling airlock may be :D
I imagine that perhaps the fermentor isn't fully airtight (which isn't necessarily a problem).
Thanks! Very helpful forum, good to be a part of it

Thought that might be the case. At least it’s fermenting 👍

A leak for sure and gas will find its way out if it's not sealed properly.After cleaning the seal do you put it back in dry as this will do it and normally a smear of vaseline will sort it.

A leak for sure and gas will find its way out if it's not sealed properly.After cleaning the seal do you put it back in dry as this will do it and normally a smear of vaseline will sort it.
Normally leave the seal soaking in sanitiser then put it back on the lid during the boil so it’s ready before transferring the wort to the fermenter but obviously should do this earlier as it must be still be wet. Cheers, will give it a go 👍

I just bought a very cheap "conical" (not much of a cone to it, tbh) fermenter and have been having this same issue. I've been brewing for over 10 years, but finallly got sick of carboys and decided to switch to SS. However, I just cannot get the lid to seal! The thing is admittedly poorly made, but I feel like I'm doing something wrong with the silicone seal. It always wants to pull out of the lid because it is quite tight, and so it doesn't sit quite right on the lip of the fermenter when I put the lid on. Anyoone experience this? I might try the vaseline trick - that sounds like a great idea. Would I just apply it between the seal and the lid or between the seal and the lip of the fermenter wall? Cheers.

I just bought a very cheap "conical" (not much of a cone to it, tbh) fermenter and have been having this same issue. I've been brewing for over 10 years, but finallly got sick of carboys and decided to switch to SS. However, I just cannot get the lid to seal! The thing is admittedly poorly made, but I feel like I'm doing something wrong with the silicone seal. It always wants to pull out of the lid because it is quite tight, and so it doesn't sit quite right on the lip of the fermenter when I put the lid on. Anyoone experience this? I might try the vaseline trick - that sounds like a great idea. Would I just apply it between the seal and the lid or between the seal and the lip of the fermenter wall? Cheers.
I know it may be a different brand, but this video may be useful in getting the seal back in place.

Back