Zesty IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Covrich

Geek
Staff member
Reaction score
After doing a very sucessful Saison during the hot summer months with lemon drop hops I thought I would try them in an IPA with some other American hops to see how it goes I may do a small smash with them aswell

Pale malt 5kg
wheat malt 500grams

40 grams Amarillo 60mins
25 grams Amarillo 10mins
25 grams Centennial 10mins
25 grams Centennial post flame out hop stand
25 grams Lemon drop post flame out hop stand

Will dry hop with some lemon drop and maybe some other hop but not sure yet

Something like this needs a Hop friendly yeast and IMO US05 is still one of the best for this

How do you do your hops stands?

I put chiller on at flame out chill till 80 which doesnt take long turn off chiller and chuck in stir and leave 20-25 mins normally then I continue chilling so they obviously carry on steeping a bit.. I think hope that is long enough.. Quite a fair few hops though in this (well for me anyway) , normally I manage to get plenty of clear wort out and have to scrape the filter for the last few liters but this time I just up ended the pot in. the dry hpo if any will be another 50 -100 grams I would have thought.

DO you do hop stands?? as a non chiller something you have to re think on how you'd do it I suppose?

I very rarely do hop stands. I usually rely on yeast esters to give a flavour boost to my beer (unless I'm making pseudo lagers) but as winter approaches and my yeast will be fermenting at the bottom end of its fermentation range I wont be getting those esters I like. So Im going to have to rely a bit more on hops for flavour (in my bitters at least)
So I got to thinking of doing hop stands. Now I can do them, as what I usually do is transfer my wort from the kettle in to 5L FVs to no chill having first passed it through a seive to strain the hops out. All I'd need do is wait till the wort is down to 80C in the kettle, put the hops in for 30 mins then transfer the wort in the the 5l FV's, straining the hops out through a seive. However waiting for the wort to get down to 80C can take ages. So what I'm thinkin of is strainin the most of the hops out when I transfer to the no chill FV's and putting the hop stand hops (alone) in the No chill FV's. But I'm wondering how much this would increase the IBU's

I very rarely do hop stands. I usually rely on yeast esters to give a flavour boost to my beer (unless I'm making pseudo lagers) but as winter approaches and my yeast will be fermenting at the bottom end of its fermentation range I wont be getting those esters I like. So Im going to have to rely a bit more on hops for flavour (in my bitters at least)
So I got to thinking of doing hop stands. Now I can do them, as what I usually do is transfer my wort from the kettle in to 5L FVs to no chill having first passed it through a seive to strain the hops out. All I'd need do is wait till the wort is down to 80C in the kettle, put the hops in for 30 mins then transfer the wort in the the 5l FV's, straining the hops out through a seive. However waiting for the wort to get down to 80C can take ages. So what I'm thinkin of is strainin the most of the hops out when I transfer to the no chill FV's and putting the hop stand hops (alone) in the No chill FV's. But I'm wondering how much this would increase the IBU's

I do believe although I am not 100% sure that 80ºc does add some IBUs but closer to 60 odd doesn't? People with chillers will just accept the small increase I reckon and move on whereas your concern is it would be sat there for several hours?

Could you do some sort of hops in a large strainer bag which you can remove from the FVs? I think I would prefer a larger bag over a small muslin bag to let the hops get a nice contact.. But eitehr way

@MyQul I wonder if you could draw off a couple of litres from the kettle at flame out, quickly chill the kitchen sink to 80c and add the hop stand hops, then after 20 minutes return the lot to the kettle and either repeat as your wort cools, or resume as normal. Almost like a hop back.

Last edited:
@MyQul I wonder if you could draw off a couple of litres from the kettle at flame out, quickly chill the kitchen sink to 80c and add the hop stand hops, then after 20 minutes return the lot to the kettle and either repeat as your wort cools, or resume as normal. Almost like a hop back.

This does actually work well. I used to do all my late additions this way before I realised that doing maxi-biab doesnt seem to effect hop utilisation for the small amount of hops (compared to say an IPA) i use in my brews. I think I'm just looking for the easiest possible method (i.e chuck some hops at the wort) but I'd forgotten about this method. Perhaps this is the 'easiest' method I'm looking for? Thanks for the reminder athumb..

Last edited:
Back