Zombie Fermentation!!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Random Badger

Regular.
Reaction score
I made some fruit berry wine, gave it just over a week on the pulp in primary then racked it to a demijohn. There wasn't much airlock activity and after a few days it stopped completely. After a week I took a hydrometer reading which was 990 and the taste was decidedly dry, so it seemed that the fermentation was finished. I left it another day and then racked it off into a fresh demijohn with a crushed Campden tablet and teaspoon of wine stabiliser and gave it a good shaking to degass. Today I was going to add some finings to clear it, but the airlock seems to be bubbling again! Less than once a minute, but definite regular bubbling.

I'm not sure what can still be fermenting, but if there is residual activity does that mean I should leave it a while and then add more stabiliser? It will need to be back sweetened so I don't want to create bombs when I bottle it if the yeast is going to keep reanimating...

If there are any bubbles in the wine they must be tiny as I can't really see any. If it wasn't for the fact that the airlock is still producing a bubble every 2 minutes or so I would be sure that the fermentation had stopped.

Latest posts

Back